FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Lounge access for minor with status
View Single Post
Old Sep 21, 2011, 6:57 am
jlisi984

Programs: AC*S100K 1MM, LH FTL, Hyatt Globalist, Accor Plat
Exclamation Lounge access for minor with status

Hey all,

Some of you know about my recurring problems with lounge access due to my age.

Yesterday was the final straw, I was denied entry to the AC YYZ MLL Domestic for the umpteenth time.

So I wrote a letter to Calin.

Now we'll see if I get any reply.

Cheers!

Dear Mr. Rovinescu,

My name is jlisi984, I am 16 years old, and this is my second year as Super Elite, third with status since I was Elite the first year.

I have been told by many an Air Canada agent that I am your youngest Super Elite.

I travel not for leisure or to accompany family, but to perform - I am a concert pianist with engagements all around the world.

Recently I have been frustrated by problems with the simplest of privileges which even the famous and wonderful concierges haven't been able to help me with - getting into lounges.

Every time I try to frequent an Air Canada lounge after 11:00 am (and sometimes even before), I am turned around.

From what I understand, this is due to the liquor laws in effect. While I completely understand this law and abide to it, what I am flummoxed by is the lack of compassion or help by any Air Canada agent. A year ago, I would be let into the lounge as long as I sat near the desk - my main reasons to access a lounge are to use the fast WiFi, eat some soup or hot food offering, and of course sit in a nice and peaceful environment. No longer am I even let into the lounge. Or I would be given a meal voucher of $10 as an apology. Now I am looked upon as if I was trying to bend the rules, trying to scam the lounge agents. While here I am, a true Super Elite with over 150,000 miles a year who signed up for the same privileges as all other Super Elites, lounge access being one of the front and foremost of these.

I can't understand at all why a concierge can't accompany me into the lounge for 15 minutes, or why, in the domestic Toronto lounge, I can't go to the business centre, where there is a large placard "no alcoholic beverages permitted".

I am writing to you after the latest occurrence, today, in Toronto, at the domestic lounge. I once again called the concierge, and she kindly recommended that I write to you.

I understand that this situation is unique, and therefore I hope we can come to an agreeable arrangement until I am 18; something that would let me retain at least a partial imprint of the services offered to all Super Elites, and would reward me for my continued loyalty.

Thank you.

Sincerely,

jlisi984