FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - What is the rationale for SYD movement caps?
Old Sep 16, 2011, 6:51 am
JDiver
Moderator: American AAdvantage

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
What is the rationale for SYD movement caps?

For some inane reason, SYD / Kingsford Smith has an aircrafts movements cap - only a certain number of movements is allowed per unit of time, regardless of the actual airport / ATC capacity. Check this audio tape* of ATC and Ground Control - aircraft must go out and park whilst waiting for the right time slot to be opened, not because of stotms, traffic capacity, but because of some possibly pilitical decision to establish these limitations?

Related article. Hair raising, if I had any. "The debacle is putting pressure on Sydney Airport, which in its submissions to the Productivity Commission, says the 80 landings plus takeoffs limit per hour places an artificial limit on the capacity of the runways and navigation technology to handle substantially more flights.

It has lobbied hard to have that cap lifted, but publicly acknowledges that the limits are engraved in stone for political reasons."

*Start at about 18:25 and take some time to listen how pilots are being directed to park it until the right time opens... 23:30 and on the airport movement cap is discussed... What on earth are my cousins in Godzone doing? Please forgive my incredulousness, but crikey!

How is this affecting people travelling in and out of SYD?