FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Anyone ever bought a rental car before?
View Single Post
Old Sep 15, 2011, 12:28 pm
Auto Enthusiast

A family member bought a '99 Toyota Camry LE in 2010, with 83k mi, for $3,800. It was from a private seller in northern NJ, whose grandmother bought it at one year old from their local Toyota dealer. The AutoCheck said the car was registered in Philadelphia as a rental with a major company, and sold at an auction there a year later. Since it never left its original city, it might have been an Enterprise car. (I've seen the history report for other used rentals, and it frequently says something like registered in FL, sold a year later at New England Regional Auto Auction, etc.) In the glove box, I found the dealer's business card, with "Toyota Certified Pre-Owned Vehicles" imprinted on it.

The car does have some minor dings and rear bumper scratches. Soon after we bought it, the gas door spring release broke off, and the gas door wouldn't open. I attributed this to all the renters opening the gas door every morning to refuel before returning. A mechanic was able to adjust the shape of the gas door latch so it opens manually.

Would I buy a used rental again? It depends.