FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - best way to save/use expiring credits?
View Single Post
Old Sep 7, 2011, 4:29 pm
HPN-HRL

Programs: BAEC G, WN A-, Hyatt G, HH G, MAR T, Hz PC, was [UA2P, FL A+Elite, BD G]
Originally Posted by wise2u
I got a notice that 2 of my credits will expire next month. They offer to extend the credits for $30 a piece, but i'm too darn cheap. I'm wondering if i should use them for a reward flight scheduled way out and then get them back once SW is running things? Does SW charge a redeposit fee, even if they were from an airtran award? SW points dont expire so if i save those 2 points till next Feb could I safely redeposit? Could I just reschedule award with no change fee? We will be moving to DFW next spring, so SW will be of use to me. I recently signed up for the Airtran personal and business cards and was hoping to bump up my total credits before they become SW miles and then get the chase SW card to add to the total.
Hi wise2u,

First off, no one knows whether or not A+ credits will have any value "once Southwest is running things". I for one hope that A+ credits will either be converted into "old-style" Rapid Rewards credits (very unlikely) or converted into some number of points in the current RR scheme. Similarly, no one knows if AirTran award tickets could eventually be converted into Southwest tickets, but I would bet against such a thing happening.

If you plan to fly on AirTran sometime in the next 12 months, (and if you have 2 or more other credits beyond the 2 which are soon to expire), you can use 4 credits to create a business class upgrade voucher which is good for one year from the date of creation. Even if you don't plan to fly on AirTran, you can book the voucher for anyone (no charge) if you know someone who could use it.

Your other ideas (safely redeposit, just reschedule award ticket) are IMO extremely likely to not work.

I hope this helps.