FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - TSA agent threatens woman with defamation lawsuit.
Old Sep 6, 2011, 2:53 pm
4nsicdoc

Originally Posted by loops
sorry, I don't know how to imbed link properly:

http://www.techdirt.com/articles/201...06/11065015824

I really *would* like to see this case argued.
Sometimes I wish I hadn't retired from practicing trial law. This would be a hugely fun case with respect to many issues. One fertile area is that of alleged damages claimed by Clerk Magee. Damages for defamation involve "damage to reputation. So Johan et Pirlouit character Magee's reputation and character are at issue and a ripe area for discovery. It becomes not only prudent but necessary to investigate every potentially untoward incident that might reflect on reputation. Every sexual encounter, male or female,canine or caprine, would need to be deeply investigated. Had she even shoplifted a Baby Ruth in High School? Tattoos? Piercings? Abortions? Did she seem to like it when her pet dog humped her leg?Remember the issue she opens up by filing such a suit is not whether she ever did anything that WAS wrong; it is whether she ever did anything that people in the community might think was wrong. Unlike most cases, where it is character that might be the issue, here it is reputation in the community that she must claim was damaged and that opens the door.
After having fun with Blue Meanie Magee (Wow! Alliteration) we could take a baseball bat upside the head of the TSA. A necessary issue would be whether our cerulean fingered, stannum badged <redacted, so no feelings get hurt> followed SOP. So, a Rule 26 Document Demand accompanied by a Rule 45 Subpoena Duces Tecum gets served demanding that the full, unredacted, non Blogdad Bob edited SOP, gets produced. Finally, we get to see the sacred scroll. They refuse? I will go to sleep tonight dreaming of perp walking Pistole to the contempt slammer."Do you, the jury, believe that the Defendant Alkon was justified in describing the actions of Plaintiff Magee as rape?" When the jury answers "Yes", the headlines the next day will be "Jury finds that TSA raped passenger." Can you say "tipping point?"
And when her former manager is asked, "Was she fired because Alkon called it rape?" he will answer, "No, it's because Magee endangered our ability to successfully suck up the taxpayers' milk by filing this idiotic lawsuit that we fired her."
And we can probably find out whether the badges really are chocolate inside a tin foil wrapper.

Last edited by 4nsicdoc; Sep 6, 2011 at 3:39 pm Reason: the truth hurts