FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Please critique Oman itinerary
View Single Post
Old Sep 3, 2011, 4:35 am
DXBPlat

Programs: SPG Platinum, Skywards Gold
Originally Posted by SanDiego1K
We've got 6 full days (7 nights) to spend in Oman. My current thoughts are as follows:
  1. 2 nights in Muscat, so one day for sightseeing and to arrange rental car to take into UAE
  2. Drive along coast to Fujairah across UAE border. Stay at Hilton.
  3. Drive to Al Ain, crossing border into Oman and then out of Oman to Al Ain. (I see no reasonable alternative to the border crossings.) Stay at Hilton Ai Ain.
  4. Drive to Muscat, visiting Nizwa enroute
  5. Final 3 nights in Muscat
  6. Possible day trip from Muscat to Nakhl Fort and Hazm Fort. Worthwhile? Is a 4-wheel drive essential?

Would you add a night in either Fujairah or Al Ain? What is there to see and do if we add a day? How long will the drive take between the two, given the border crossings?

All thoughts would be much appreciated.
Fujairah isn't worth more than a night, it's very similar to Oman. To be honest you're be better driving the extra hour to Mussandam (the northern tip of Oman to the north of Fujairah) and going on a cruise, the scenery is amazing.

Al Ain is also quiet but does have the UAE's one and only mountain (Jebel Hafeet) as a backdrop. One night enough. You can stay half way up the mountain in a rather basic hotel, good excuse to go exploring.

As an addition I would recommend staying in the desert in Oman. There are places you can stay (you can choose camping or little huts which have AC) which are amazing - massive open BBQ, views of the stars like you've never seen and try your hand at desert driving in the morning. I honestly can't remember the name of the place I did it but it was about 4h from Muscat in the Wahabi (?) sands I think. Given the amount of off roading required would take a guided tour, plus the Omanis will give you a proper cultural understanding of all the places you pass.

One other option is there is a famous turtle breeding area about 2-3h south of Muscat, worth a day trip.