FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Fall Foliage trip need advice
View Single Post
Old Sep 1, 2011, 10:37 am
RDU-Man

Programs: SW, AA Gold, Hilton Diamond, Hertz 5*, Avis Presidents
Originally Posted by ENFO
@BearX220:
@RDU-Man - Thanks for your alternative road suggestions. Re 12A and 10, if we take this route up to Lebanon, should we drive from NYC and cut through MA instead of renting from Albany? It seems like most roads west to east from Albany through VT are heavily damaged, incl 4, 7 and 100. So we may be better off driving up NH to go to northern VT. At least until further road updates.

Finally, I'm not hearing much about it but I know there's some damage in MA Berkshires as well.
If you end up having to skip Vermont because of ongoing road problems, yes, I would drive direct from NYC via CT and MA. Depending on what part of the city you are in, I recommend avoiding the coastal route via I-95 to New Haven to I-91. Instead, head up I-684 through White Plains to connect to I-84 near Danbury CT and continue on up to join I-91 at Hartford, CT. Once you get north of Springfield, MA, I-91 is fairly scenic, especially in Vermont. Stay on I-91 to get up to the St. Johnsbury, VT area, or get off at I-89 in White River Junction to cross over to Lebanon.

Better yet, if you have a few extra minutes, get off I-91 at Exit 8 (Ascutney, Rte 131). Then drive north along US 5/VT 12 along the river to Windsor, turn right, and drive across the covered bridge to Rte 12A in NH and take 12A north to Lebanon. The bridge is one of the longest covered bridges in the country and fun to drive across http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cornish...Covered_Bridge

Last edited by RDU-Man; Sep 1, 2011 at 10:44 am