FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Silicon Valley for one quick night... advice please
Old Aug 31, 2011, 3:16 pm
Eastbay1K
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Jumbo mas
Tue 9/27 - must arrive in SFO by early afternoon at the latest - spend night in Los Altos Hills
Wed 9/28 - must fly out of SFO area and be in Houston by early afternoon at the latest - night in Houston
Thu 9/29 - must fly out of Houston and be in Kansas City by early afternoon at the latest - night in Kansas City

a) does it make sense for me to hire a rental car if I will just go from SFO to Los Altos Hills... and the next day early morning get back to the airport...? or should I just cab it..? monetary considerations aside, is the rental process at SFO a lenghty one..? Im afraid I lack rental car company status.

SFO - a train ride to the rental car facility. A cab each way will run you probably $75 each way (a guess, but probably within reason). You might consider staying by SFO and just driving back the same night, to save you some time in the morning

b) I can issue my EZE to California ticket and have that leave me at LAX or perhaps SFO... is OAK a good option for cheaper flights or should I just stick to SFO as my California Hub...?

OAK is mostly a Southwest (WN) fortress these days. And often, WN isn't a bargain anymore. Getting to/from OAK from where you'll be isn't exactly convenient, either.

c) Im trying to do most or all of my US domestic travel on American (mileage issues), but Houston is a big UA/Continental hub and I have to go through there... are there any other carriers I should consider given I need to go from California to Houston and then Kansas City and back...?

WN may be your overall best bet for some of the shorter domestic hops. Other than no assigned seating, the service is no worse (and perhaps better) than AA or UA in the back. You also get a free baggage allowance. If you have some AA or UA status or this trip will get you some (or increase it), than you're probably better with AA or UA. Just note that SFO has some of the worst weather delays in the USA, even in summer. For flying eastbound, it is important that you get out as early as possible in the AM. (The delays revolve around flow restriction on arrivals due to low visibility, so if your aircraft is on the ground, you're generally in good shape.)

d) If someone has a tip for a 4 Points or Hampton Inn type hotel thats in the vicinity of Los Altos Hills, any info would be appreciated... Im guessing this area will not be cheap, but I would hope to be able to get something thats not much more than $150-180 per night (if possible).

I can't help you here, but consider returning to SFO to sleep.