FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Advice for Rugby World Cup Trip
View Single Post
Old Aug 30, 2011, 9:11 pm
brenrox

Programs: NZ Silver
Originally Posted by Belflyer1
I'm coming to New Zealand for the Rugby World Cup and will spend 3 days in Auckland - will see S Africa v Samoa and England v Scotland and will then travel down to Palmerston North to visit family - two guys (rugby fans) travelling together

Any suggestions on what to do in Auckland apart from the matches and any decent restaurant suggestions in Auckland for two guys - preferably local or Polynesian style - nothing European or American

Also any suggestions on what to call in and see on a day's drive down to Palmerston North and the best route to take and anything to avoid

Any ideas welcome as this is my first trip to New Zealand

I wanted to goto the RSA v SAM game but am away that w.e unfortunatly! SkyTower is pretty good, (unfortunatly) I'm a local now, but I still enjoy going up it. I would have suggested Kermadec as it has some great NZ seafood and other meat dishes, but has been booked out by France! There are many good restraunts down in the Viaduct area so I would head there. I'm not sure you will get anything Polynesian unless you head to Otara markets or something....

On the way down to PMR you could call in at Taupo or slightly out of the way is Rotorua - both of these places are tourist towns so will have a range of activities to do. Rotorua is more cultural and geothermal, where as Taupo is more adventure tourism.

Hope you enjoy your trip!