FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Fall Foliage trip need advice
View Single Post
Old Aug 30, 2011, 10:25 am
RDU-Man

Programs: SW, AA Gold, Hilton Diamond, Hertz 5*, Avis Presidents
Originally Posted by BearX220
I lived in this zone for ten years. You're sticking to the Interstates and missing much nicer scenic drives. The Kancamagus is beautiful but liable to be overrun with leaf-peepers in early October. You can do US2 or US302 also. I would recommend getting up into Vermont's Northeast Kingdom, north of St. Johnsbury, if you can. It is gorgeous that time of year.

The Lake Champlain ferry is not that big an adventure and can be pretty woolly that late in the season if the weather turns on you.

Here's a back-of-the-envelope five-day itinerary:

1. Amtrak to Albany, pick up car, drive NE to Rutland VT, head north on US7 through Addison County and Vergennes, overnight Burlington.

2. Take VT Route 15 eastbound to St. Johnsbury, loop through NE Kingdom, overnight St. Johnsbury.

3. Take US 2 east from St. J to Gorham, then head south on NH 16 to Conway; take the Kancamagus westbound back toward I-91 (or, alternatively from Conway, you can drop down to Ossipee Lake on NH Route 16, then head east on NH Route 25 to Plymouth and, eventually, I-91). Then turn south on I-91 and you'll quickly end up at Lebanon / Hanover; see your friend and overnight there.

4. From the Lebanon / White River Junction area, head west on US4. Pass through Woodstock. At mid-state, after you get past Killington, pick up Vermont Route 100 and follow it south to Ludlow, Londonderry, etc. across the Massachusetts state line; overnight Lenox.

5. Morning in Lenox, afternoon quick drive back to Albany and Amtrak home.

VT Route 100 is one of the nicest fall foliage drives in Christiandom... not to be missed.

I've deliberately kept you off I-93 / Franconia Notch in NH as it too can be overrun by foliage enthusiasts and the back roads are a more fun drive.

I agree with mareh that you had better get busy with hotel bookings... have a good trip.
In general, I concur with BearX220. Stay off the Interstates as much as you can, and don't bother with the ferry. The big crap shoot is now the fact that Irene trashed portions of the key routes in Vermont including Rte 100, Rte 4, and Rte 7. Depending on how quickly they do repairs, you may need to spend more time in NH. Drive roads like 2, 302, 16, 112, and 25. Roads along the Connecticut Valley like 12A and 10 can be nice to (ignoring the sprawl in West Lebanon where they cross I-89). And yes, the Berkshires are beautiful too, so time spent driving from Pittsfield down through Lenox, Lee, and Stockbridge would be nice.