FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - E-Rewards and E-Miles [GS 2011 master thread]
Old Aug 25, 2011, 3:47 pm
Alumino

Programs: HH Dia, WOH Dia, Bonvoy Gold, IHG Plt
E-Rewards and E-Miles [GS 2011 master thread]

E-Rewards and E-Miles: How To Earn Two (2) Grand Slam Hits

BOTTOM LINE UP FRONT:
You can earn a total of two (2) Grand Slam hits using survey partners
--one (1) hit through E-Miles
--one (1) hit through E-Rewards
In each of these survey programs, you complete surveys/offers to earn credits. After you have enough credits, you can manually redeem them for US Airways Miles.

BASIC PROCESS FOR EARNING ONE GRAND SLAM HIT via E-MILES:
1. Enroll as an e-Miles Member: You may...
--accept an e-Miles enrollment invitation (FROM US AIRWAYS ONLY!!!), or
--respond through an e-Miles Member referral, or
--visit the e-Miles.com website: www.e-miles.com and just sign up out of the blue (select US Airways as your partner)
2. Complete Enrollment Profile: More information here usually means more offers to view
3. Receive e-Miles earning opportunity: you receive notices via e-mail.
4. Complete e-Miles earning opportunity: View your marketing messages and answer a few questions.
5. Get your miles: Once you have 500 miles, REQUEST a deposit into your US Airways DM account.
6. Wait for the miles to post and the Grand Slam hit to be awarded

BASIC PROCESS FOR EARNING ONE GRAND SLAM HIT via E-REWARDS:
1. Enroll as an E-Rewards member: There are two important conditions
--(a) You must be REFERRED by a company to sign up to an E-Rewards program
(i.e. you can’t just signup out of the blue)
--(b) The program to which you are referred must include US Airways as a sponsor
Your referral will be via an e-mail invitation asking if you would like to join E-Rewards. If the referral is from US Airways… you are good to go! If it is from, say, Emirates or Hilton, you need to see who all the partners are for that particular E-Rewards program. Since you want GS hits, you need to sign up for a “program” that includes US Airways as a partner.
2. Complete enrollment profiles:
--These are a bit more involved than for E-Miles
--The more profiles you answer, the greater the chance of them sending you a survey invite (below)
3. Receive E-Reward Survey Invitations: you will get these via e-mail.
4. Complete the surveys: Each survey earns a certain amount of E-Rewards “currency”.
5. Get your Miles: Once you have earned $25 in “currency” you can redeem this for 500 Dividend Miles.
6. Wait for the miles to post and the Grand Slam hit to be awarded

E-MILES FAQ: (E-Miles official FAQ )

Q: Does E-Miles have a signup bonus?
A: Yes – 275 miles. Per the e-miles website…

“The Enrollment will only take a few minutes to complete — and you will earn 100 miles for your time! You’ll earn an additional 100 miles when you enter the verification code from your welcome e-mail and up to 75 miles for completing all your profiles. That’s a total of 275 e-Miles miles!”

So, if you start a new account from www.e-miles.com without any referral, you will get 275 miles right off the bat. Thus, you will only need to earn 225 more.
(Other bonus referrals may exist and may have different bonus premiums: YMMV)

Q: How Many E-Miles Offers will I have to complete?
A: Each Offer earns you at least 5 e-miles, so the maximum you will have to complete is 100. If you got a 275 point signup bonus as described above, your max number of offers to complete is 45. Some offers can earn you an additional 10-100 points at no cost to you, so you could amass E-Miles very quickly. (You could sign up and pay for The Economist and earn 300 points at once and be done in one offer!) Once you get 500 E-Miles… either stop or start working on GrandSlam2012.

Q: Once I earn E-Miles, they just magically show up in my account, right?
A: NO! You must make a “request” to E-Miles to deposit the miles into your DM Account. I could explain the process here, but just go to the E-Miles FAQ. (Be sure to wait until 15 September to make a deposit!!!

Q: How long will it take for my 500 DM Miles to show up in my US Airways Account?
A: After 7-10 business days, the miles you earned from E-Miles should be credited to US Airways. After that, it takes precisely “a while” to show up as a Grand Slam hit.

Q: What if I already have an E-Miles Account?
A: If it is linked to your US Airways Dividend Miles account, then you are golden. Just use it.
If you signed up from a referral from Delta or Hilton or some other entity that is NOT US Airways, well… then you can’t use that account. Options include:
--Cancel that account and sign up for a new account at the same e-mail address; or
--Contact E-Miles and request that they change your sponsor (and lose some or all points); or
--Sign-up for a new account at a different e-mail address
You cannot transfer E-Miles points into a different account or to a different sponsor. So, if you have 495 miles in an account linked to Delta Airlines, you probably don’t want to cancel or modify that account….
(Please see the E-Miles website for all program rules. I believe the rules say there is a limit of one E-Miles account per person.)

E-REWARDS FAQ
(E-Rewards official FAQ if you are a member)
(additional info)

Q: Does E-Rewards have a signup bonus?
A: Don’t know. Maybe. Probably depends on the invitation. Feel free to post any signup bonuses you know about.

Q: What is this whole “Invitation Only” thing?
A: Per the E-Rewards FAQ…
“Joining e-Rewards is FREE and by invitation only. Our Sponsors send invitations to their customers inviting them to join the program. If you've provided your e-mail address to one of our Sponsor companies, you could receive an invitation to join e-Rewards.”

Q: How do I get an invitation? How, I ask you… HOW!?!
A: Maximize the number of relevant sponsors who have your e-mail address approved for promotional purposes. Like, oh, I don’t know… perhaps… US Airways Dividend Miles! (check their box that allows you to receive promotional e-mails from partners).
A: Check all of your e-mail accounts... even old ones you barely use. Search for e-Rewards. You might already have an invitation waiting for you, and you didn't know it.

Q: US Airways is not showing me any love… what other program sponsors are there?
A: OK, here we go…
AeroMexico, AirTran, Airfrance/KLM, Alaska Airlines, Blockbuster, Choice Hotels, Continental, Delta, Frontier, Emirates, Ethiad, FlexPerks, Golfsmith, GermanWings, Hawaiian Airlines, Hertz, Hilton, Iberia, JCPenney, La Quinta, Macy’s, PriorityClub, Southwest, Virgin (America and Atlantic)….
Might be more. Might be less.

Q: Can all of the sponsors give you an invitation?
A: Uh… I don’t know. I assume so. I have received them from PriorityClub, Hilton, and US Airways.

Q: Any other ways to join?
A: E-Miles will sometimes give you an offer for 100 miles to join E-Rewards. Unfortunately, it appears that E-Rewards Referrals from E-Miles do not have US Airways as a partner. So you can still earn E-Rewards currency, you just can't redeem it for US Airways miles.

Q: Hey! Somebody on FlyerTalk please refer me for an E-Rewards Account! Help a brother out!
A: Sorry, doesn’t work that way. Invites are not from individuals.

Q: I got an invitation from QQQQQQQQ (where “QQQQQQQQ” is not US Airways). Should I join?
A: Check first… an invite from QQQQQQQQ may not allow you to redeem currency for US Airways miles. It might limit you to just redeeming them for QQQQQQQQ miles in the QQQQQQQQ loyalty program. In summary, each invitation to join the “program” is unique. One invitation from, say, Hilton may be to a version of E-Rewards that has all sorts of partners to choose from. Another invitation may restrict you to redeeming currency in only a handful of partners. It all depends on the version of the program you sign up for.

Q: How Many E-Rewards Surveys will I have to complete?
A: It varies. Surveys are usually for around $3-6 in currency if you complete a full one. Sometimes they already have enough responses from folks like you, so they cut you off early and give you $0.25 for your trouble. Best plan is just take every survey they offer you and hope for the best.

Q: It always cuts me off early and gives me $0.25 for my account… this will take forever! What should I do?
A: Check more frequently for surveys. If you reply right away, you have a better chance of completing it than if you reply to a survey from last week. Do not wait even 10 minutes!
A: Make sure you have lots of detail in your profile.
A: Don’t just “pencil whip” the surveys. Sometimes they stick in a secret question in the middle to see if you are just clicking randomly or if you are actually reading the survey.

Q: Once I earn $25 in E-Rewards currency, 500 Dividend Miles just magically shows up in my account, right?
A: NO! You must make a “redeem” your E-Rewards currency for DM Miles. I could explain the process here, but just go to the E-Rewards FAQ. Be sure to wait until 15 September to redeem!!!

Q: How long will it take for my 500 DM Miles to show up in my US Airways Account?
A: After an “unknown period of time”… likely a week or two… the miles you redeemed from E-Rewards currency should be credited to US Airways. After that, it takes precisely “a while” to show up as a Grand Slam hit.

Q: What if I already have an E-Rewards Account?
A: If it includes your US Airways Dividend Miles account as a partner, then you are golden. Use it!
If not, you’ll need to be invited to a program that has US Airways as a partner.
(Please see the E-Rewards website for all program rules. I believe the rules say there is a limit of one E-Rewards account per person.)

Q: Which "inviters" have US Airways as a partner and will work for Grand Slam?
A: I can't say for sure, because each invitation could be different, but this is what I have seen:
---Does NOT have US Airways as a Partner: Delta, Emirates, E-Miles, Upromise
---DOES have US Airways as a Partner: Hilton, Priority Club, US Airways, bmi, ticketmaster, Club Carlson
---Worked for some people, didn't work for others: (none yet fall in this category)
(As I find out more info in this thread or from PMs, I will update this list)

GENERAL FAQs

Q: I am 12 old… can I join these programs?
A: Nope. Gotta be 18 years old.

Q: I am a legal resident of Andorra… can I join these programs?
A: Nope. For E-Miles you need to reside in the US as best I can tell. For E-Rewards, you can join from all sorts of countries throughout Europe, Asia, the Americas, Africa and Oceana. I have no idea how active the programs are outside of the US, though.
(Andorra is not one of the European Countries listed, though pretty much all the others are!)

Q: Why are there some similarities to the E-Rewards and E-Miles websites?
A: Hmmm. I wonder.

Q: Will I make it in time? How quickly can I earn enough for a GS hit?
A: E-miles can be signed up for, and completed enough for a GS hit, in less than three weeks without you having to spend a dime. You just have to complete every "free" offer to you -- so sign up for spam e-mails, print coupons for KY Jelly, whatever you gotta do.
A: E-Rewards is more arbitrary. It could take 6 weeks... it could take 6 months. It depends on many factors. If you start before 15 September, you have a decent chance. After that, who knows. Might as well try, though.

Data Point: I earn $18/month on average from e-Rewards when I am actively seeking surveys. During GS 2010, I earned $51 in two months, thanks in part to a single $20 survey. I have also had months where I earned less than $3. So... YMMV.

(Note: The goal of this thread is to fully explain the E-Rewards and E-Miles GS Hits, so that Flyer Talkers could spend their valuable time on the other, trickier GS Hits. I will update this message to keep it current and relevant.)

Last edited by Alumino; Sep 16, 2011 at 12:12 am Reason: added info