FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - AMEX MR refusing to honor matched bonus IDs (even those already notated)
Old Aug 22, 2011, 8:09 pm
drbobguy

I think there are several points of confirmation for this so far today. We should find out in the coming few days if this is true based on more peoples' experiences.

From Frugal Travel Guy today:

Amex is Catching Up with Promo Codes

I got this email from reader George this weekend suggesting things are changing with Bump the Bonus and American Express:

"AMEX membership rewards department is getting smarter, a lot smarter. I just called in to verify that certain promotion codes for my new AMEX Platinum card (for whopping bonuses) were in place from registering the last few weeks. The representative said they’ve put in new software that tracks each card against the promotion code to verify eligibility. That means that if you didn’t receive a postcard with XXXX, then no way in hell will they honor XXXX if you call it in. They also track promos based on geography.

"Evidently, too many people have been using the targeted codes and AMEX is killing all the non-targeted sign-ups. ALL MY BONUS CODES, which were “ok” when I called them in, are now invalid. That’s about 250k MR points gone.
Code 5721 – Argentina only
Code 5894 – AMEX gold only
Code 5985 -- AMEX gold only
Code 3882 – expired
Code 5748, 5542, 5891 – MUST be targeted

It’s a race, and I’m losing this week…..!
-- George"
Some people on MilesBuzz are reporting the same thing.