FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Market day and fine dining in Provence/Cote de Azure
Old Aug 22, 2011, 10:42 am
gabz

Market day and fine dining in Provence/Cote de Azure

So here's the deal: Husband and I are traveling by train from Italy to Nice early September. We will be arriving at 10pm and staying for an additional night in Nice. What would have been two full days in Nice and the coast is now turning into a day and a half. We check out on a Saturday and head out to Aix en Provence. Now if we want to do a market Saturday morning, are there any close to Nice that are particularly special? I understand there's a big one in Aix, but I'm hoping we can still enjoy some of the coast before making it out to Aix later in the day.

Alternatively, we can head out early in the morning to Aix or a nice market in Provence and head back to Nice earlier than planned to spend some more time exploring the coastline.

Also, do you have recommendations for a special dinner spot during those 4 days?

Here's the French part of our trip:
Sept. 8- arrive to Nice at 10pm
Sept. 9- rent a car and drive around the coast and visit a couple of beaches. Is parking going to be a bear? Should we wait on the car and travel by train along the coast?
Sept 10- leave Nice for Aix, time to be determined. Catch a market.
Sept 10-12- two nights in Aix with a couple of day trips, yet to be planned.
Sept 12- return to Nice- could be later in the day or earlier depending on when we head out on Sept. 10.
Sept 12- spend the night at airport hotel, leave early Sept. 13.

So, in summary, here are my questions:
  1. Are there nearby markets to Nice?
  2. Should we rent a car in Nice or wait until we're ready to go to Provence?
  3. Help me pick a special dinning experience in Aix or along the coast, preferably michelin standard.

Thanks!!

Your help is greatly appreciated!