FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - 4 VS Upper Class Flights between Lagos and London (Dec 2010-Aug2011)
Old Aug 20, 2011, 1:52 am
ogepma

Programs: BA, LH, VS Silver, EK
Part 3: London Heathrow - Lagos (A346) June 2011

After the second semester was over, I took a short trip to Frankfurt at the beginning of my holiday. I did a trip report on that which I haven't finished yet but should do so this week
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/trip-...d-getaway.html

Two days after my return from FRA, I decided to bring my ticket forward to go back to Lagos earlier than originally planned. I was really getting board in Sheffield as most of my friends had travelled and Sheffield is literately nothing without the students. My flying instructor was also not available so i couldn't go for lessons either. I was just so jobless

There was no snow or ash for me to be worried about this time so I decided to travel from Sheffield straight to Heathrow via St Pancreas and Paddington. The train journeys were smooth until I got to Paddington. There was no escalator or even a lift so I had to carry my 31.2Kg suitcase and duffel bag up the stair case. It was very annoying as I had a train to catch to the airport and there were so many people walking at snails pace. Once i got out from that mess I ran to the front of the Heathrow express train which was the first class couch. Luckily, I had upgrade vouchers from my renewed silver membership for both Gatwick and Heathrow express so I ended up paying for a regular ticket yet still having space to sit down. The train was packed!

Once I got to the airport, check in and security was swift as always. I found my way to the clubhouse and quickly ordered a cocktail. I am pretty sure by now I must have sampled at least three quarters of the cocktail menu in the clubhouse. I had four different ones and even forgot there was alcohol in them. They were simply amazing

IMG_4894 by ogepma, on Flickr

IMG_4894 by ogepma, on Flickr
This one was recommended by the waiter and was not bad at all

IMG_4895 by ogepma, on Flickr
my very cosy area in the clubhouse

Since I was early, I had enough time to window shop and of course buy some chocolates. This time I got a lot. It was so much I had some trouble finding were to keep them on the plane. At the lounge, I had a burger which was ok. It could have been better if I took it when it was hot but I was on the phone for a long time

Before I could say jack Robinson, they announced the final boarding call. I was so surprised that they announced on time today so it was very unexpected. The gate wasn't to far from the lounge so I casually walked to the gate and boarded through L1!! I was very surprised about that. This was actually my first time boarding through L1 at Heathrow. So this time boarding was not chaotic at all. It was very smooth.

The cabin attendants were warm today so the flight seemed very promising. I had a friend over in economy so I went to chat with him for a while in one of the forward galleys before take off.

I was offered a glass of champagne and despite my ''tippsy-ness'', I couldn't resist I was also offered PJs. this is one thing VS has been consistent with and their sleep suits are of very good quality. I keep collecting them even if I don't need them. I have a ton of them at home in Nigeria and the UK.

Of course some dumb passenger decided to spoil the on-time performance of the crew by getting 'lost' so we had to wait for him or her and lost our departure slot. At the end of the day, the flight was delayed at least not thanks to the crew.

Soon after, our new slot had reached so we pushed back and taxied to 27R. Take off was smooth and service soon started.

IMG_4920 by ogepma, on Flickr

IMG_4907 by ogepma, on Flickr
banking left towards Lagos

IMG_4921 by ogepma, on Flickr
cabin shot

IMG_4925 by ogepma, on Flickr
seat's begging to show its age

The menu this time looked new and different. It looked like an either hate it or love it one. I opted for the pea and basil risotto with king prawns to start with and the duck as my entrée.

IMG_4931 by ogepma, on Flickr

IMG_4934 by ogepma, on Flickr
Stewie and Brian episode--i was really laughing at some point

The appetizer was nice but so tiny i could have actually eaten it all in one bite. It was so small I asked for the second option as I saw no one really ordered that. It was ok but nothing to write home about

IMG_4936 by ogepma, on Flickr

IMG_4939 by ogepma, on Flickr

IMG_4943 by ogepma, on Flickr
first hors d'oeuvre

IMG_4944 by ogepma, on Flickr

IMG_4945 by ogepma, on Flickr
second hors d'oeuvre

The entrée was strange to say the least. I don't know if they were trying to be creative or they ran out of cooking ideas or they got it from Tesco, it was just hard to eat. I was quite hungry so i was able to finish it but it was surely a task. It was simply bland with no taste at all.

IMG_4946 by ogepma, on Flickr
the entrée didn't look to bad but taste wise, it was a different story

IMG_4947 by ogepma, on Flickr

IMG_4948 by ogepma, on Flickr
let's just say I drink a lot of liquid