FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - 4 VS Upper Class Flights between Lagos and London (Dec 2010-Aug2011)
Old Aug 19, 2011, 10:39 pm
ogepma

Programs: BA, LH, VS Silver, EK
Some more cabin and window shots

IMG_0886 by ogepma, on Flickr
IMG_0889 by ogepma, on Flickr
IMG_0890 by ogepma, on Flickr
IMG_0898 by ogepma, on Flickr
IMG_0899 by ogepma, on Flickr
IMG_0902 by ogepma, on Flickr

Once we landed, I was so glad to be home that I wasn't even concerned about the usual chaos one would expect at Lagos. Then again this was the only flight arriving at concourse E by that time of the morning so collecting my suitcase was pretty quick for Lagos standards. I have to say the crew were just ok. Not very memorable but at the same time they did their job on this one despite the circumstances.

Lagos was as usual-HOT! and this was a relief from the freezing temperatures of England. I was so glad to be home after only six months away and i have no idea why anyway I had a couple of socials to attend during my first week and by the second and third weeks, it was a strictly family affair. I hosted a small barbecue by my pool side and invited a few friends over on boxing day though. Maybe this is one of the reasons I miss home I also noticed several developments in Lagos and was quite impressed with the developments. This is one city that despite its not so good reputation, I simply love it. It has character and is very real. The people here are happy and that's all that matters. I took a couple of pictures that I would put up later in the report.

Part 2: Lagos - London Heathrow (A346) January 2011

After spending about three weeks in Lagos, I had to go back to school (which I was seriously dreading)and this time my mum came back to England with me. Check in at Lagos airport can be stress free sometimes especially if you are travelling in a premium cabin. There are lots of people who would help you with checking in but they aren't really doing it for free. Lagosians usually code these kind of things and usually tip them a bit. To be honest, it is more of a win win situation as it is completely stress free on your path. I can't really remember the immigration aspect which means it must have been uneventful. VS uses the Oasis lounge (i think) at Lagos airport. It is nice but very small. It's not even bigger than my flat in Sheffield! It is quite cosy though.

IMG_1871_edited-1 by ogepma, on Flickr
our sexy a340-600

IMG_1877 by ogepma, on Flickr

IMG_1894 by ogepma, on Flickr
taxing to the runway with so much forest around

IMG_1903 by ogepma, on Flickr

IMG_1908_edited-1 by ogepma, on Flickr
overview of a very small part of lagos

The flight itself was ok. Some of the crew members where quite dull and were acting like it was by force. The Nigerian flight attendant assigned to me didn't even smile once. The funny thing was that I had travelled with her on about two previous flights in which she served me. It seemed this time that she was just not in the mood or was just tired of the job. My mum even noticed it and we sort of laughed about her unwelcoming attitude. She wasn't rude in anyway it's just that she wasn't interested.

The food was very disappointing. This had to be the worst I have eaten on a plane in a while. The starter was simply ok but the main course was dreadful! I could have sworn it was a 1 year old that cooked it. It was so bad that 8 months after eating half of it I can still remember. At this time, I had flow VS upper class at least 11 times in the last 2 years and while I knew that food wasn't VS's strong hold in anyway, I didn't know it could be this bad!

IMG_1940 by ogepma, on Flickr
the salmon appetizer which was very mediocre but was still edible

IMG_1948 by ogepma, on Flickr
they called it mashed potatoes and braised lamb, I call it rubbish. Look at how sad it looks! poor entrée

I obviously didn't finish the entrée and it even made me loose my appetite so I decided to take some out-of-the-window pictures before going to bed. I was quite tired as I didn't sleep the night before so I utilized the bed properly

IMG_1956 by ogepma, on Flickr
One of the mighty RR trent 500 engines

IMG_1988_edited-3 by ogepma, on Flickr

I slept off for a few hours and when I woke up, the view outside was amazing. I took so many pictures but only few cam out well. I am still learning how to use my camera professionally.

IMG_2001 by ogepma, on Flickr

IMG_2003_edited-1 by ogepma, on Flickr
I didn't bother asking for a pre landing snack as nothing on the menu was inviting and i wasn't hungry due to my earlier experience. lol We soon stared our approach into runway 27L

IMG_2028 by ogepma, on Flickr

Landing was smooth and immigrations was very fast and unserious. I remember quite clearly how the immigration officer was speaking brap English to a fellow officer. I found it funny how unserious they were. Our bags came out on time and we left the airport early enough. The whole experience was mixed and probably my worst but it wasn't that bad. At this point we were actually considering switching airline after my next flight to Lagos but like any other airline, once in a while you don't get the splendour experience that you expect.

Last edited by ogepma; Aug 20, 2011 at 12:42 am