FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - How many cards is too many? [Consolidated]
Old Aug 12, 2011, 11:18 pm
mabramovich

How many cards is too many? [Consolidated]

Hi all,

I just started getting into this sign-up-for-miles credit card game. I was wondering how many cards you normally sign up for at one time. I know too many sign-ups can affect your credit. In the last three months I've signed up for three cards (Amex Aeroplan, Amex SPG, and Chase Marriott), and I still wanted to do the 15K membership rewards Amex as well. Basically, now is a good time for me to apply -- I'm moving to the US for a couple of years and I thought I could get miles here in Canada, then (after building some credit in the US) cancel my Canadian cards and get miles in the US, before returning to Canada and signing up for the same cards again (and hopefully get the bonuses again).

I have tip-top credit so I would think a few more credit pulls shouldn't matter? (Actually, I got a credit report today and while Chase pulled my credit, there does not appear to be any record from Amex at all). Would anyone have any idea?

Thanks for your help. This really is a wonderful forum.