FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - I've never been in a luxury hotel, but...
Old Aug 10, 2011, 5:14 pm
FlyerEC

Programs: TPPS, UA, EK ...; Marriott BONVOY , HH, GP, GC..
Enjoy Zurich or any other Swiss town.. Countryside

Originally Posted by nba1017
Zurich is a tough place for real luxury on a relative budget.

The Dolder Grand is the premier resort, and though many of us here will nitpick about service and the like, it is definitely a 5-star property by any normal definition. I recall rates starting at ~600CHF, going up to 1000CHF for a junior suite.

The Baur au Lac, down by the water, is going to be in the similar price-range, as is the Widder.

The Park Hyatt generally goes for around 450CHF, but I wouldn't consider it to be as uniquely luxurious as the other three hotels mentioned, and if I were on a modest budget I would prefer to try to stretch my dollar (franc) to have a really great and unique experience. I think you'll find the Park Hyatt to be

more of an upgraded business hotel than a true five-star
property and destination unto itself.

Musken gives good advice. Stay for more than one night, and book yourself a room category that you'll feel comfortable in (in many European luxury hotels,
the entry room category can be little more than a closet). A place with great
F&B/pool/spa/other facilities will obviously enhance your experience as well. Zurich is tough. Do you plan on being in the USA or Southeast Asia anytime soon? Rates in those regions are broadly and generally lower.

^

Perhaps you can try Interlaken:
Beau Rivage or pricier Victoria-Jungfrau Grand Hotel & Spa

There are also Beau Rivage in other Swiss towns like Luzerne