FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - TSA Confiscates Pregnant Woman's Insulin, Ice Packs
Old Aug 9, 2011, 3:53 pm
chollie
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA,RR,NW,Delta ,UA,CO
Originally Posted by ITravelThereforeIam
Not that I want to divert this important discussion, but I wanted to point out that type 2 diabetes (which can be controlled by diet/pills) is a different disease than type 1, and I am willing to bet this woman had gestational diabetes, which is a 3rd kind. In type 1, the body, through no fault of the person, does not make ANY insulin and is required to put it in their body, or die. I could lose 20 pounds and I would still need insulin!

A gestational diabetic's organs are working for two and the pancreas can not sometimes meet the need/demand, so the mother must inject or she and/or her fetus will suffer greatly. AND in fact many type 2s are not just lazy and incompetent, but their pancreas has just worn out....it is sometimes a chicken/egg question...as the pancreas begins to wear out, blood sugar rises, but very little gets converted to energy...so you feel hungry and tired, so you eat more, which makes your blood sugar go higher, and yet, you are still hungry, and that soaring blood sugar makes it impossible to get up and walk around, let alone "work out." Endocrine and metabolic meltdown.....

Yes, we are debating TSA, and I am sorry for jumping in, but I do follow these conversations as they are important to me, but let's not cavalierly discuss diabetes and whose "fault" the disease is, if we don't know what it really is (and "most" people don't.....).

thanks
Thanks for this post. I learned things (always a good thing!),

Makes it easier to understand why checkpoint experiences might differ because the specific type of diabetes dictates what the pax will be carrying.