FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Reprimanded for Photographing UA Check in Desks at JFK
Old Aug 9, 2011, 3:46 pm
CMK10
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP/MM, DL GM, UA Platinum, HH DIA, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Platinum, Marriott Titanium, Hertz PC
Reprimanded for Photographing UA Check in Desks at JFK

I seem to have bad luck with United as this thread from 2 years ago will attest to:

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/trave...my-camera.html

Last Friday I was flying United in Business from JFK-LAX. I was very excited for the trip and planned to take numerous pictures for my albums as well as threads on FT as I always do. Once I got to JFK, I took a picture of the check in desks. An agent immediately yelled at me saying I was not allowed to take pictures here. A second agent came up and told me the same thing. I said I was not doing anything illegal or photographing anything sensitive or security related. The second agent starting talking about "security" and "9/11" and how this was "New York and everyone is very cautious here".

I remarked that again I understood and that I was from New York and also, I was a paying customer and an elite and did not appreciate the way they were talking to me. She then tried a new tactic and threatened to call the PA Cops. I said I wasn't worried about that as I knew I wasn't photographing anything sensitive. She then said that "we are not public sector employees. You don't have our permission to use our likeness". At this point I stopped talking and she tried to smooth things over by asking "do you know how to find the lounge?". I said sure and left.

I must say I'm rather upset. The quick dropping of 9/11, the rude way in which I was treated and all that. Maybe I was in the wrong (I don't think I was) but thanks to United for trying to suck the fun out of another trip. I would have gladly showed them the picture I took especially had they been polite. Being accusatory just put me on the defensive and more convinced what I was doing was ok.