FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - New opt-out record set at LAS?
View Single Post
Old Aug 8, 2011, 10:33 am
barbell

Originally Posted by Boggie Dog
I would suggest anyone who would walk into an xray box of any kind not knowing how well they are maintained and no one in the public domain knowing what the signature is has not thought through the problem.

In other words no one should submit to TSA's Backscatter Whole Body Imager until we know more about them.
I would extend this line of thought to MMW, as well.

While the theoretical model of this technology is that it's harmless, and respected members of this community (JanetDoe, RadioGirl, and Wimpie immediately come to mind, apologies to those I may have missed) who are either physicists or scientists involved directly in this field of study, there exists no data on the long-term human health effects in this setting.

Specifically, while the output may very well be 10,000 times less than a cell phone, as TSA claims, and the technology is the same as automatic door sensors as these fine people have explained to us, we simply don't know what we don't know. We don't know, for instance, that the output is what TSA claims. We also don't know what the calibration and maintenance schedules for this equipment are, nor what procedures are in place to identify and mitigate a malfunctioning machine.

Furthermore, we have absolutely no data whatsoever on what happens when a human is put in an enclosed space with this technology and literally shot at with these waves in said enclosed space over their entire body simultaneously. While I agree, on theory and in principle that MMW>BKSX in regards to safety, I disagree with the generally held belief here that it is harmless.

This is what I do know, every time, every.single.time. I'm in a line using MMW, my phone freezes and shuts down. It simply never does this anywhere else ever that I use it. That tells me that these machines are doing things I don't encounter anywhere else in my life. It may be harmless, it may be a bizarrely unfortunate coincidence. Doesn't matter. We don't know what we don't know. I'm not going to be TSA's guinea pig in either device.

All this prior comment notwithstanding, a strip search of any kind is a gross violation of the 4th Amendment, regardless of the venue.