FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Carrying more than 10,000 USD into US (US Citizen)
Old Aug 4, 2011, 8:13 pm
johndoe123

Originally Posted by aragno
Firstly, let me put to rest the suggestions such as don't carry it, use an ATM card, wire it, etc don't come along. I live abroad and paid in foreign currency but the rate of exchange at all banks is poor here so I would prefer to convert at a money changing company locally, as they have better rates than the bank can offer! Even depositing in USD to a USD account has a fee associated with it.... it's a scam but it is how it is.

I was wanting to carry back to US and then deposit in my account in US. I pay taxes so there is no funny business with the money and it is not illegal.

What happens with this FinCEN 105 form? Should I expect to be audited because I have declared this money? I have nothing to hide but being audited is a pain in the ... from what I understand.

Do I need to bring all my paycheck slips/bank statements to show where this money originated and that it was legitimate income? It is less than 50k USD so it's not as if I am transporting hundreds of thousands of dollars.

Any insight from those who have done transported such funds before would be much appreciated.
Can't you find an AMEX office or similar and make it into travelers checks? Although I believe you still must report them as cash equivalents.