FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - New York & Chicago - 30th Birthday Celebration
Old Aug 4, 2011, 4:42 am
Euan

BA296 – Chicago to London Heathrow (Part 1)

We took a taxi to airport and on arrival found the check in area which was very quiet. I managed to get my bag checked through to Glasgow and boarding pass printed out. From past experience with US airports we asked and were advised there was essentially nothing beyond security - and to be honest there was barely anything before security either!

RJ check in was due to open as there was a large queue forming for the economy check in.

We got a quick milkshake/smoothie pre-security more to pass the time than anything - duty free was poor as were all the other shops. Rather pathetic for an ‘ International’ terminal.

The flight would be boarding from gate M11 and was late arriving and when we arrived at the gate there was a USA 300 sitting getting de-iced.

We made our way to the First lounge which is small, very small but given there was only one other person it was nice and peaceful for a quiet drink prior to some dinner pre-flight.

We stayed in the First lounge until 7pm when we moved across to the Terraces lounge and into the dining room for dinner. As I was planning on eating on board I opted for a stir-fry wrap whilst the better half opted for the clam chowder to start with followed by salmon, both of which she advised were very good

From research online I was well aware that whilst both ORD flights are operated by 777s, the earlier flight, BA294 is the one that is most likely to get BA’s new First product. I therefore did not expect to get to sample NF so you can imagine my surprise when upon re-entering the First lounge I saw the 777 parked at the gate with 3 blocked windows in the First cabin!