FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - New York & Chicago - 30th Birthday Celebration
Old Aug 3, 2011, 3:06 am
Euan

BA1 - London City to New York JFK [Part 2]

We landed in Shannon shortly after 2pm and were led through the terminal where we arrived at the entrance to immigration. For those of us with checked bags, 6 out of 15 passengers, there was a holding area where we had to wait until they had carried out the necessary work before we could proceed.

Once we were given the all-clear to proceed there was a quick security check and while laptops and liquids could remain in our bags, shoes had to be removed. We then made our way to Customs and Immigration where there were 3 counters open for 6 passengers and it didn’t take long!

We had to identify our bags and then our passports were stamped and we were back at the gate area waiting for final on-board preparations to take place before we could re-board.

The entire process was carried out very effectively and we were back on board within 30 minutes ready for take off at 2.40pm.

While lunch was being prepared the media players were provided and set-up. Whilst it is not the full selection of films that you would get from LHR it was more than enough to keep me occupied for a few hours!

A nice salad to start with followed by the fillet which was fantastic and very well cooked. No complaints with that or the chocolate pudding. All washed down with some beer.

Following lunch the other half watched a film whilst dozing whilst I had another beer and continued to watch more movies whilst having the odd chat here and there with the very friendly cabin crew.

Afternoon tea was served before we arrived in NYC and I opted for the pork belly salad with some scones and cream cakes.

After landing we had a short wait before arriving on our stand as we had to wait for other aircraft to leave the area.

A lovely flight with some great views.

We arrived on stand just after 4.30pm, 45 minutes ahead of schedule and beside my favourite aircraft, the mighty 747. I would have been nice to get a picture of the A318 beside the 747 but it wasn’t to be.

The next part interested me, how long would it take us to get into a taxi?

I started the timer as we left the plane and kept it running whilst we walking through the terminal, collected our bags and got into a yellow cab for Manhattan. It took us just under 9 minutes!