FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Broadband Rental and SIM Card in FR and England
Old Aug 3, 2011, 1:45 am
JoostvD

Programs: KLM, Thalys
Originally Posted by dcd
Are you referring to SIM card for phone? I am asking about "broadband" or doogle (sp?) to use internet access on a portable computer.

Merci!
Yes, you asked about a SIM card. I don't know if it is possible to find a pre-paid dongel for a laptop for less than a year. I doubt it. But are there not USB devices that let you add a SIM card to a laptop? This would make it much easier.

Here is an example of a supermarket offer: http://mobile.carrefour.fr/espace-mobile/kit-se.php

The offer includes €4 of use, after that you must "recharge" the card. When you buy the card, you can probably already add value to it so you can get more use from it.

You can, in Europe use pre-paid or subscription SIM cards in other countries, but the per-minute charges are much higher than in the country you bought the card.

When I travel outside the Netherlands, I usually only use open WIFI spots. I also have a German SIM card because Germany is one of the few counties (the Netherlands is another) that offer reasonable prices for Internet on pre-paid SIM cards. Tomorrow, I'm going to London, for example, but many of the places I will be offer free WIFI, so I will not bother with a SIM card.