FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - New European Autograph Hotels - Boscolo Hotels
Old Jul 22, 2011, 9:51 pm
TNLONTraveller

Programs: Marriott Titanium, Hilton Diamond, American Platinum, Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by Thomas Hudson
I promised I'd take my best gal over there for her bday. How are the Milan and Rome ones vs the rest Marriott has to offer? Any other nice Marriott props there?
Afraid I haven't been in Rome for quite some time but I've stayed at the Milan Marriott 8ish times in the past 3 years.

Depending on how quickly they integrate the Boscolos there should be 3 Marriott props in Milan as of fall/winter (up from just 1 since forever!). I haven't stayed at the Boscolo but know the area and it definitely wins out on location...5-7 mins walking to the Galleria, La Scala, and the Duomo. San Babila (the neighborhood its in) is quite nice for bars/restaurants as well and you're pretty close to Via della Spiga which it and the environs are the heart of the fashion district for Milan. So yeah...big win for location there.

The AC hotels property in Milan is a bit further afield and in a pretty dead business area to boot...but I'd still say its central in the scheme of things. Also, its a high-rise so if you get a high floor you'd have an excellent view.

Now for the Marriott. The location is awful...10 mins walk to the subway station and another 15ish mins on the subway into town from there. And the neighborhood is pretty dead (no restaurants/bars). Hotel is straight out of the late 80s, early 90s...pretty nondescript. HOWEVER, if you've got status this property is great. The entire top floor is monstrous suites and in the 8 times I've gone here I've been upgraded to a suite 7 of them (only time I didn't was during fashion week...make sure you don't go then!). Massaging shower and jacuzzi tubs feature. The lounge is tiny and not very well stocked/run but is open 24 hours if you need a late-night water or something. Breakfast has always been downstairs for me...which is also a highlight, great spread...especially for Italy. So yeah, with the high probs you can get a suite I'd say give the Marriott a look but if you really value location don't go there.