FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Layover and Stopover Rules
View Single Post
Old Jul 22, 2011, 7:34 pm
sheremetyevo

Programs: UA 2P, DL, FL A+ Elite, AA
Originally Posted by FrequentFlyer9000
Thanks. That is interesting because now I completely do not understand The PointsGuy's sample itinerary in a post related to the one you quoted from his blog. See here.

He mentions he could have hypothetically done this itinerary:

JFK – Paris (stop), Paris – Madrid (destination), Barcelona – Paris – Montreal (22 hours in Montreal), Montreal – JFK.

My read on it:
JFK - Paris - Madrid makes perfect sense. I am sure CDG is a published connection from JFK to Madrid on SkyTeam. The open jaw between Madrid and Barcelona is also fine. Here is where it stops making sense, and it is possible TPG made an honest mistake:

Barcelona - Paris - Montreal - JFK does not make sense. From Barcelona to JFK, I can see CDG being a published connection, but not both CDG and Montreal. I could not find that route, and it doesn't make sense regardless.

So how did he add Montreal as a layover if the same rules apply to stopovers and layovers? Thanks.

P.S. Did not see your post edit adding the Oslo point until now, but believe me, this is a general question. I'm not longer worrying about Oslo, as that was a lost cause. I do not think there are any SkyTeam awards that use Oslo as a connection between City A and Zagreb, so the point is moot in that specific case.
Yeah, I saw that TPG post too and didn't understand how that works. Hoping someone else can chime in here....