FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Is LAX becoming a black hole?
View Single Post
Old Jul 21, 2011, 11:57 am
bzcat

Programs: AA Plat, DL, AS, UA, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by Antonio8069
I connected at LAX on 20 July (SYD-YYZ). Forgive the rant but LAX is one of America's most important airports, and it is a black hole for FF! My beefs:
- there is no in transit area for FF travelling to Mexico, Canada, etc.
- LAX doesn't recognize the NEXUS card, & the CBP lineup took 1.5 hours;
- the CBP does not appear to use the normal risk-based primary/secondary inspection regime. I saw passengers @ primary for 20 minutes! No wonder there are long lines;
- the CBP facilities are badly organized, staff create and close lines at whim, and the signage is non-existent;
- FF's cannot visit lounges in other terminals as your boarding card limits access to the terminal of departure;
- the A bus service connecting T's was sporadic.
Don't get me wrong! I want to use LAX.........it has great connections to Pacific destinations & it should be one of the US's premiere aiports. The Alaska Board Room Lounge (Tom Bradley Terminal) is one of the best! However, the long lines and the physical condition of the terminals make it less attractive to do so. Many of these problems have been around since 2007, so my ? is whether anything is improving at LAX?
You are preaching to the choir

1. There are no such thing as "transit lounge" anywhere in the US since 9/11. Our Govt has deemed everyone flying on airplanes as a potential terrorist.

2. Risk-based inspection? Ha... you are talking about a country that makes everyone takes off their shoes and get a naked picture taken just to enter the terminal.

3. Lack of connection between terminals at LAX is a long running grievance. It's as if we went out of our way to make airside connection difficult. I can't tell you why LAX doesn't have airside shuttle (like "A" shuttle but runs within secured zone)... it seems like a cheap and easy thing to do. And bonus - we also make sure airlines from the same alliance are at opposite end of the airport to make getting on code share flights extra hard! This one is a no charge free service...

4. Sporadic shuttle service? That's why I always tell people to walk. LAX terminals are really compact so you can always get across the airport faster by walking than waiting for the shuttle bus. And don't get me started on the idiotic 2-level split departure/arrival mess that doubles vehicle traffic for no reason.

5. Bradley Terminal is undergoing major renovation. We should be up to 1990s world standards by 2013.

6. Signage? Signs are for people who read English! You are going to make me foam at the mouth now... LAX not only lack signage in English, it is completely lacking in actual useful signs in foreign languages. And the few signs at Bradley terminal in Chinese/Korean/Japanese are atrociously translated that they don't mean anything.

Last edited by bzcat; Jul 21, 2011 at 12:03 pm