FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Current bonus offers for 401K/IRA rollover
Old Jul 9, 2011, 9:22 am
needtoescape

Programs: Air: Many; Hotel: HH D, HY G, IHG P, MR S, RR
Current bonus offers for 401K/IRA rollover

I searched and only found a really old thread without any useful responses and a couple of other threads that were not really the same question, so I thought starting a new thread was the best option, since this seems like a topic that may be of interest to others as well.

I am planning to rollover my 401K from a former employer to a rollover (traditional) IRA and was wondering what bonus offers (cash, miles, other) are available. I'm not going to make my decision solely based on the bonus, but the bonus would be a factor if there were two or more companies that basically met my needs in a similar manner. I currently have accounts with Fidelity (non-retirement, Roth IRA, and current employer 401K) and probably will open a TD Ameritrade non-retirement account for SPG points. I'm not an active trader and prefer a brokerage firm with a good selection of mutual funds and/or ETFs available for purchase online with low or no fees. I would likely buy and hold a few different funds, so I am not interested in a bonus that provides a lot of free or discounted stock trades.

I am aware of the current cash bonus offers that TD Ameritrade and e-Trade have for opening a new retirement account/rollover IRA:
1) TD Ameritrade details: http://www.tdameritrade.com/planning...aaccounts.html
2) e-Trade: I couldn't find the details of the e-Trade offer on their website but did an on-line chat with a representative who confirmed similar tiers/bonus amounts as TD Ameritrade, at least for $100K+ invested) and also found more detail on another website (don't know it or if it is reliable): http://bankvibe.com/etrade-ira-bonus-up-to-500-cash/

Any other options out there? Any experiences with specific offers?

Thanks!

Last edited by Spiff; Feb 20, 2014 at 7:15 pm Reason: Correct typo and update links