FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Return to the Buffet: First Class Air, City, Jungle, Beach, and Desert
Old Jul 6, 2011, 12:53 pm
blueline7

Programs: SPG Gold, HH Silver
Amankila and Denpasar to Bangkok via Thai Airways in Business Class

OK, so Amandari was a great introduction to Aman Resorts, but since I only spent 24 hours there, my report of Amankila will enable me to better describe the service and other elements of Aman.

After an easy and pleasant 2 hour scenic drive with stops along the way, we arrive at the Amankila security gate, and are quickly passed through onto the Amankila grounds.

Amankila is in eastern Bali and is set on a hill along the ocean. It consists of thirty-some (an Amanjunkie will likely fill us in on the exact number...lol), connected by gorgeous marble-like staircases, set against a lush hill, and has pathways down to a "beach club" next to the ocean, which consists of another large pool, pavillion, and bale beach huts. To get around, a buggy is available at a moment's notice by telephone or a request to any staff person. Check in consists really of a warm welcome by several young Balinese girls, who present a flower garland, and an equally warm and gracious welcome by other staff and managers. After taking one's passport for a copy, one is then led on a personal tour of the resort, and then to one's villa. There is no more formal check-in or other unseemly procedures.

One is quickly conveyed the impression that having entered Amankila, you were now under their steady and extraordinary care. It is important to note that many of the staff you will encounter have been with Amankila, or Amandari, as the case may be, for many years. When I say many, I mean many. I met several people who had been with the resorts basically since they opened 21 and 23 years ago respectively. It is this continuity and experience which allows them to be fully aware of your needs and to know precisely how to offer Aman service. There is no falsetto "Welcome to Aman". The welcome is in the eyes, not just in the words. The people are truly happy that you are there, not just because it provides them employment, which they are grateful for too, but they are sincerely proud of the resort and the services that they are fortunate to be able to provide. There is something similar to a "pride of ownership" present that makes all dealings with staff an extraordinarily pleasant experience. For example, I often loathe being greeted a dozen times by staffers at most hotels, as I am well aware that this is a trained formality, and that there is little if any authenticity in such superfluous welcomes. I cringe at them and rather avoid eye contact. Here however, every hello or smile appears to be genuine, and each person appears to be an individual who is good at their job, proud of their place, happy to be there, and happy that they are able to enable you to enjoy yourself. Working 23 years at one of the premier resorts in the world means something; it allows the highest possible level of sensitivity and service, and also shows that people value their job there for a good reason.

To put this level of service in context, let me take a stab at setting out the various levels of service quality within the hotel industry:

1. The place is a hellhole and the management and staff don't care or are unable to do anything about it. It is not worth complaining as there is no chance of improvement and you will never go there again anyhow. This is a one star or no star hotel.

2. The place is crap, and you need to complain to get the basic level of service and amenities just in order to get through the experience. You won't go again, but demand at least what you paid for. This is a 2 star hotel.

3. The place is fine, you get what you paid for, it doesn't over-promise or over deliver, you need to request or complaint to get some missing items or to have things done the way you want or need. You would hope to not have to go there again, but it was more or less what was expected and is satisfactory. This is a 3 star hotel.

4. The place is good, as it tries to provide a good guest experience and does. It has several additional amenities to make the stay pleasant and the staff try to do their jobs well. This is a four star hotel.

5. The place is impressive, as it accomplishes an excellent guest experience with sophisticated management and well trained staff, with a well cared for and beautiful facility, with many nice touches and polished service. It is everything that you would expect from a five star hotel.

6. Then there is Aman. Aman provides a guest experience, physical surroundings, facilities, amenities, and guest service that is not what you would expect, as they have been doing this for so long and so well, that they know better than you what would make you happy. One could not expect the innumerable amenities which they have conceived of and made available to you, as one doesn't have the experience that they do, and as such they have put a lot of thought into little things and aspects that set them apart. The surroundings are second to none, and are conceived by people who are truly inspired and have striven to create a special place, not just a great hotel or resort. Once the admission fee is paid, you are the king of the castle, with every whim cared for and respected. The staff are uniformly dedicated, and anticipate that guests will have requests and special preferences, and will bend like a reed to accommodate. There are no rules that are designed to assist management; the rule is to assist guests.

If there is one single theme that I can identify, it is "Deyenu". The word "Dayenu" means approximately, "it would have been enough for us", "it would have been sufficient", or "it would have sufficed", and is the name of a song sung at Passover, about being grateful to God for all of the gifts he gave and had God only given one of the gifts, it would have still been enough. This is to show much greater appreciation for all of them as a whole. What I am trying to say here, is that in all aspects of the Aman experience, one encounters things that "they did not need to do - it would have been just great even without these things, but having done these things, they surpassed even what one would have expected and hoped for...they went beyond....".

Let me try to illustrate with some examples, but there were far to many to itemize here...One can, as I did, literally tour the villa making a massive list of amenities "that they did not need to provide as it would have been fabulous otherwise, but did"...;

So here is a short list, in no particular order:

1. Tea served with pastries at 4 pm by local Balinese ladies near the pool, along with Balinese girls creating flower bracelets for guests.

2. Suntan lotion in custom ceramic bottles (like all their toiletries), in two different SPF's, set along a small table near your private pool, together with a jug of cold water and two clean glasses, all the time.

3. A personalized note at your bedside welcoming you, and inviting you to a free yoga class the next morning, together with two complimentary batik sarongs to wear, particularly if you decide to go to a Balinese cultural festival.

4. Complimentary vegetable chips and mini chocolate chip cookies atop the minibar, and a complimentary massive fruit plate filled with exotic fruit meant for eating, but also with a pictured guidebook explaining each of the fruits.

5. Great quality umbrellas sitting at the ready, just in case it rains.

6. Tongs that match the decor. Bamboo Fans set atop a table near the outdoor daybeds. Orchids decorating everything from the desk to the toilet paper rolls. The Bose sound system's remote control is even adorned in a bamboo cover. A wicker bag to take your stuff to the beach. In the gym, wireless headsets, and even a sterilizer which they use to sterilize the foam covers for the headsets. The hair dryer is in a drawer, but is rested on a bamboo mat within the drawer. There are sculptures, potted plants, and tapestries adorning walls and walkways throughout, where anyone else would have left things as is, and it still would have been beautiful. There are many universal electrical outlets for guests in convenient spots, so that no one needs be hassled looking for an available one. There is an ice container kept full in one's villa. There are wicker notepads. There is a good quality lufa together with beautiful full size toiletries.

7. They ask you at the beginning if you have any allergies or preferences, and then all the restaurant staff addresses you by name every time upon entering the restaurant and throughout your stay, and there is no need to ever repeat what your preferences are, as they already know. The chef comes out to introduce himself and tell you he is there to rustle up and prepare anything you want. Even though the gym is only opened at 7, the staff will take you there and open it for you any time you want, no problem, no question. The artificial sweetner is a healthy organic one, not Equal or Splenda, because these discerning guests want that...When you order coffee, they don't even ask to bring you warm milk alongside in a small container, they just do it of course. When you order room service, it is lightening fast, and they get the order exactly right every time. Don't be surprised if at dinner they bring you a little treat unexpectedly, or make your dish with a little something extra special. CONTINUED IN NEXT POST.

Last edited by blueline7; Jul 10, 2011 at 6:36 pm