FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Return to the Buffet: First Class Air, City, Jungle, Beach, and Desert
Old Jul 6, 2011, 12:52 pm
blueline7

Programs: SPG Gold, HH Silver
Amandari

Okay, so what is the story with Aman? I had heard about Aman, knew that they were very exclusive and expensive, but could not understand why there was a phenomenon called an "Aman Junkie", i.e. someone who just cannot get enough Aman...What was all the fuss about? Are they so good? What about how I had read that Amandari had dated decor, or that it was a second-rate Aman compared to Amankila? Would I be thoroughly pissed off having paid for Aman and found myself living in some sort of minimalist treehouse in the jungle? Was this an "acquired taste" for people wanting understated elegance rather than luxury? Would I just be too pedestrian for an Aman resort? How did Aman compare to other luxury properties? Could I possibly become an Amanjunkie? Would I sense the "spirit or Aman" as others claim to have? These were my questions prior to booking Aman....And I got answers to all of these questions and more. I cracked the Aman code, and figured out what is going on here....and I intend to expose it to the world and to FT, right now.....

I was fortunate to become aware of DavidO, an avid FT participant who has carved out a niche for himself, amongst other things, in booking FT'ers into Aman Resort properties in Bali. As it turned out, this was a very wise decision, as DavidO's service was superlative from the moment that I contacted him, replying nearly instantaneously, and managing my booking with finesse and professionalism throughout. Moreover, as a Virtuoso travel agent and one which is apparently particularly respected by Aman, he was able to provide me with some great Virtuoso benefits and upgrades, including fantastic and valuable upgrades.

So, where does one begin? Perhaps at the outset I should establish that there are in fact, as it turns out, some places that one simply cannot adequately describe in words or pictures. Absent are the sounds, the smells, the temperature, and the interactions with people and the environment. But most importantly, some places, such as Amandari, do in fact have a spirit, or vibe, that is unique and palatable and which cannot be adequately conveyed. That is perhaps one reason why I had been unable to discern, no matter how much I researched, what exactly made Amandari supposedly such a special and desirable place, and this is also the reason why I too will be unsuccessful in conveying precisely what makes Amandari one of the most special, idyllic, and luxurious (in the truest sense) places in the world.

Adding to the anticipation and perhaps trepidation, was that the drive and even the street leading up to the entrance of Amandari, did not herald in the most minuscule way, what was beyond the gates. In fact, one could accurately say that Amandari is hiding in plain site, along an unremarkable and typical Balinese streetscape.

One would have no clue that beyond the simple and unassuming entrance way on an unattractive street, lies a paradise of ancient looking but well preserved pavilions amid a tropical forest, lush with greenery and exotic flowers, attended to by gentle and professional guides who know better than you what you want and how you want it. Now, Amandari is only some 23 years old, yet the look of the landscaping and architecture evokes a rediscovered jungle palace equipped with all the modern amenities, and the thought lingers that perhaps this place was put here just for you. The air is filled with the sound of the jungle, and air is incensed, there are orchids randomly fallen over the pathways, the seclusion is complete yet not dire. It is something to behold. One cannot help but wonder what inspired someone to create this, as it is must be man-made despite all the hallmarks of a divine and other-worldly creation. Who was it that conceived of this unique place? How did they arrive at the details that make this place so unique? How could they know in advance that this would work this way? These questions remain unanswered, but one rather not know, and keep the allure and riddle of Amandari present in one's experiences there.

OK, no for some pictures of the environment, which I insert hesitatingly, as I know that they do not fully do this place justice.

Now, for the villas, or pavilions. I had read reports that they were "outdated" and utilitarian. This is rubbish. They are beautiful, contemporary, inspirational, and luxurious. I had a private pool suite and a two-story villa, which was secluded behind the ancient-looking high walls of Amandari. The entranceway is off of the network of pathways seemingly hewed through the tropical jungle which boasts gorgeous tropical flowers throughout.

Last edited by blueline7; Jul 7, 2011 at 9:42 am