FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Koyono Jacket vs Scottevest Revolution
View Single Post
Old Jun 27, 2011, 11:05 pm
aaronu

+1...

Summer + Vegas => no coat. It's, like, HOT there and stuff.

SCOTTEVEST makes a travel sport coat that looks OK. Assuming it is available in your size, that's the only coat I'd recommend, and then only if you need something business-ish.

On the other hand my main sport coat has several useful inside pockets and my trench coat has nearly as many. More importantly, it has a pocket large enough for a Kindle and/or iPad. Neither is a specialized travel item; just off-the-rack business clothes.

I have one of the TEC shirts. I like the cut and find some (not all) of the pockets super useful. In particular, the two inside upper chest pockets stash my phone and wallet in easy reach even when I'm seated, and the hidden side seam pocket is a decent stash spot, especially if I wear the shirt untucked. The earbud "Personal Area Network" is a joke. Maybe it is better on the jackets. I don't use the clear touchscreen panel on the phone pocket. It is easier to just take the phone out when I want to use it. The "bluetooth pocket" is an invitation to lose your fancy headset. That's OK though; there are plenty of other pockets available that will securely hold it. It's also true that the shirt hangs in such a way that the pockets don't bulge out. I really like that feature.

To your questions -- yes, my shirt arrived with definitely sub-par stitching. I addressed it myself rather than sending the shirt back. The zippers are definitely TINY, but then again it's a shirt we're talking about. Small gauge zippers make sense to me -- especially after I found and trimmed all the loose thread that kept getting caught in them.

Just yesterday I saw a guy in the security line at Seatac wearing a SCOTTEVEST travel vest. I asked him how he liked it and he said it was awesome. But he went on to lament that he bought travel trousers as well and the stitching was horrible. SCOTTEVEST sent him a replacement that was no better, so he called again. They sent him a second replacement that again was no better. The guy wrote a review on their website saying that he liked the trousers but they suffered from poor stitching quality. SCOTTEVEST chose not to publish the review. So he penned a letter to Scott explaining that under the circumstances, he would no longer be a customer. He liked the vest just fine though.

Frankly, if I didn't own a Scott e-vest product with similarly poor stitching, I might have dismissed guy as just overly picky.

I know my TEC shirt was made in China; possibly the guy's travel pants were as well. It's tougher to enforce quality control in manufacturing in an outsourcing environment, and my guess is that SCOTTEVEST needs to invest a bit more in quality. I know another person with a travel jacket that really likes it as well so possibly the jackets and vests don't have the same quality issues.

I'm disturbed that SCOTTEVEST allegedly rejected the guy's "review", but not disturbed enough not to be a customer myself. If I hear much more negative stuff, that will change. But for now the problems with my TEC shirt were easily addressed. If I buy another product them I'll be certain to look it over very carefully before I wear it.

Hope this is helpful.

Cheers,

Aaron