FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - driving with a cast - legal?
View Single Post
Old Jun 26, 2011, 9:12 am
Often1
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
Originally Posted by DeafFlyer
I drive with hand controls. Will I be presumed at fault in an accident? Maybe I should stop driving?

Do you see where this is leading? If presumed at fault then I have no choice but to fight it in court, because I'm going to keep on driving.
No, you won't likely be presumed to be at fault (although I would certainly consult my lawyer). That is because you presumably have an operator/driver's license limited to hand controls. Same thing for a person who requires glasses to pass vision test, gets a limited license. Your insurance company knows this and all is likely well.

In the case of a person with a short term disability such as a cast, this is not the case and neither licensing authority nor insurance company know of the situation. OP doesn't post (and should not) the specifics of his/her policy, but it's almost a certainty that it requires OP to notify the company of any change of circumstance, likely same thing for licensing authority.

Why all of this? Because you presumably were trained and learned how to drive with hand controls. You are neither a safer nor unsafer driver because of the situation. On the other hand, if you woke up one morning and were told that for the next 3-6 weeks you would have to drive a vehicle differently equipped than anything you have ever used before, it would take an adjustment.

None of us know the exact nature of the temporary issues which a cast cause to OP and that's why the advice OP got from the casting technician probably doesn't count as legal advice, but it's from someone with experience who probably is answering OP's question.