FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Baggage fees when connecting from other carrier
Old Jun 20, 2011, 6:24 am
Aliquot

Originally Posted by formeraa
Correct, ANC RED-EYE! Unless the airlines are on the same reservations system or the ticket was issued on the first airline's stock, they will generally not be able to see the connection if booked through a 3rd party (e.g. expedia, travelocity, etc.)

So, always bring your complete itinerary and find an "experienced"-looking agent -- white/gray hair counts in these cases!
???? I fly on mixed airline itineraries 10-12/yr and unless its a paper ticket every airline involved has always been able to see my entire itinerary.

As far as separate reservations versus single tickets. My experience has been that there is no problem getting your bags checked through on separate reservations, but as soon as things go wrong you're SOL with separate reservations, both in terms of missed connections and missing luggage. Unless I absolutely need to fly two carriers without interline agreements I always fly on one reservation.