FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - I won the "trip to anywhere in the world" (up to $20k)! So...where should we go?!
Old Jun 18, 2011, 3:25 pm
meester69

Programs: I am a lowly ant
Originally Posted by peachfront
If I really had to go coach, for a 5 day trip, anywhere in the world, and I'm being taxed on an inflated $20K worth of value, I think I would decline to accept the trip for tax reasons.
Good point.

I am UK resident/citizen and prizes are not taxed here, but it looks like the average flyertalker will pay what 30% tax on this? More? So $6k?

Ok, so basically you are getting a 70% discount.

The furthest point in the world from New York is basically Perth. Off-season rates are around $2000. Quite along way from $20k, but you are saving $2k....

Bali is cheaper, $1500 off-season (October) on Singapore airlines.

Still leaves $17,000 to spend. What could you get for that? Amanresorts run to about $1,000/night, but for $3,500/night you could get a top suite at Amankila (pool: http://www.amanresorts.com/uploadedI..._pool1_236.jpg). With excursions you could easily spend $20k, but if you're paying $2500*30% = $750/night in taxes on top of the already luxurious base room, well I think most people would find that questionable value.

Better than spending the money on dry land, why not charter a boat?

Aman's Komodo trip runs to US$25,000 plus taxes for 7 nights, so it seems about the right price. http://www.amanresorts.com/exclusive...w.aspx?id=1708

Inclusive:
"Rates include five nights’ accommodation on Amanikan, full crew, two nights at Amanwana, all meals and non-alcoholic beverages, two dives per person per day on board Amanikan, one dive per person per day at Amanwana and rangers fees for Komodo National Park."

So this would be what you would do:

Ask Amex for 2 * flights JFK-DPS, cost for 2 is $3k-$5k depending on season. This leaves you with $15k-$17k, a hotel room is a hotel room (well not quite, but the principal is there), but most people don't charter their own yacht on vacation, so take the money and spend it all on the chartered yacht.

Negotiate with Aman for 5 nights on Amanikan with the $17k (after paying for airfare), pay your own way for the 2 nights on Amanwana, and when you're done with that (or before), go see the rest of Indonesia on your own dime, 5* hotels in Indonesia (JW Marriott) start from $70/night all in.

You could easily spend $4k on airfare, $3k/night for 5 nights, and then spend under $100/day after that.... Why not? You get more value for your airfare, and I don't see that the taxes on a $3k/night hotel room, no matter how fancy (try 7-bedroom suite at the Pensinula Hong Kong - what do you want to do - eat the furniture?) are ever going to be worth it.

There are other ways to spend $20k of course, the African safari is nice, you can probably spend $2k/night there, but $20k is going to be pushing it IMO.

Last edited by meester69; Jun 18, 2011 at 3:44 pm