FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Caught with undeclared goods/food/fruit. Will Global Entry/NEXUS be revoked?
Old Jun 17, 2011, 7:27 pm
tentseller
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: CX, DL, Nexus/GE, APEC
Originally Posted by YVR_YYC
Crossing US customs at YYZ today I was fined $300 and forfeiture of my Nexus pass!

After attending a conference, I was provided a bag lunch for the trip home. I slept during the 2 hour ride from the conference resort to the airport. I was groggy from the sleep and it slipped my mind that I should have checked the contents of the lunch bag. Crossing the border is second nature to me as I have been doing this on a weekly basis for the last 11 years. When I approached the customs person with the lunch bag in hand, and he asked me of the contents, I knew I was in trouble.

To make a long story short, a single apple in the bagged lunch resulted in the $300 fine and loss of the Nexus pass. I admit I'm totally at fault but I never fathomed that the penalties would be so harsh. The monetary fine is not a big deal but the loss of the Nexus pass is a huge inconvenience as I cross the border on a weekly basis.

Have others found the US customs to be so rigid in applicaton of the rules?
IMHO some YYZ CBP could be quite difficult. Sounds like you got picked on because you are carrying a lunch bag, to the CBP it means food, time to scroe some brownie points.

Sad that you last your Nexus privilege, that is going to hurt more than the fine. This is the letter of the Nexus condition.
Not to scare you but your passport might be redflagged due to the offence and you might encounter more secondary due to this record.