FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - SunPass or Shunpike the Florida turnpike?
Old Jun 17, 2011, 9:58 am
ticu

Programs: US Air, Flying Blue, United, Air Canada, Aeromexico
Originally Posted by FLLDL
Paying $63 to collect probably $5 dollars in tolls is insane. The Turnpike Enterprise / Sunpass needs to find some better solution given the sheer number of tourists renting cars here.

You may want to investigate some other rental car companies, the major ones (Hertz/National etc) all charge $2.00 per day + cost of tolls, and the $2.00 charge is only for the days which you use a toll road. So if going down and back to the keys you would only need to pay for the first and last day here. Its all tied into the toll vendor the car companies use:

https://www.sunpass.com/rentalcar

and unless you are arriving late at night, you definitely will want to take the toll roads to get the keys, as driving the length of US-1 in Miami is a miserable experience.
Called again SIXT.
They told me if I come with my own Sunpass and use a non-attended toll road I will be double charged: once on my sunpass and once by SIXT at 10 dollars violation fee for every day of the rental plus tolls that I incur, as they will get a picture from the toll highway "office" and will bill me (i.e. charge my credit card) later.
Aparently there is no other way of handling this then either:
1. buy their sunpass service for 37 (week)+14(2 days) = 51 dollars for my 9-day rental
2. waive their sunpass offer and use only highways either toll free or that let you pay tolls in cash.

In the second case, my question is:can one still pay tolls in cash on SR 836 (Dolphin Expwy) from SR826 to Miami Beach or this became a cashless toll road too?