FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - SunPass or Shunpike the Florida turnpike?
Old Jun 15, 2011, 12:14 pm
ticu

Programs: US Air, Flying Blue, United, Air Canada, Aeromexico
Originally Posted by CokeandTaco
Sorry, I am confused by your post in regards to the cost of the rental....

$7 x 9 days = $63 (w/Sunpass) or $10 x 9 days = $90 (w/o Sunpass)??
Unless I am missing some important information, (which I probably am), I would get the Sunpass option.

Having a Sunpass in Florida is a good idea. It can make car travel easier and quicker for many reasons (here are a few):
1. some toll roads do not have collection booths.
2. you do not have to worry about having cash for the booths.
3. you do not have to wait in traffic (if it is busy) to pay necessary tolls.

Will you be spending any time in Miami or surrounding areas? Or is this trip........ airport to the keys-keys back to the airport.
It's most likely a MIA-KEYS KEYS-MIA trip over 9 days of rental from Sixt.
So the tolls would add-up to let's say 4 dollars for the 9-day rental period.
Paying Sixt $63 for tolls just doesn't make sense to me.
You are right with regards to sunpass vs cash - that's what they told me on the phone. I asked if it's 10 dollars only for the days that I use the toll highway and they said no, it's 10 dollars for each day of the whole rental period. Weird, isn't it?
Now, I come from Canada. If I buy a "sunpass mini" would I be able to activate it/use it with my Canadian driver's licence info and address? And then just stick it to the windsheield, and remove/distroy it and cancel the account (for a refund eventually) when I return the car? That would be 15 bucks without a refund or about 4 buck with the refund and would make more sense to me then what Sixt is trying to feed me with.