FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - what to take (to eat) when kosher is not available
Old Jun 12, 2011, 9:07 am
travellerK

Programs: AA EXP, Hilton Honors Gold, National Executive Elite
Many take places will vaccum pack food (as noted by Craz above). The stuff seems to me to last a week without refrigeration and I never had a problem taking it in my carry on.

I take the flat pack tuna fish (not the cans) as the cans sometimes get stopped by security and the flat packs never do (they are also easier to eat on the road).

Meal Mart and a few other companies sell the equivalent of La Briut meals without the heating element. You need a microwave or some other heating method, but their are no halachic problems heating them in non-kosher equipment. (Though if you ask hotel staff to heat them, it takes a lot of explaning that they should not be removed from the packaging before heating (and even then I've had problems on occasion)). They also have some shelf stable fish packages that are edible cold.

I take cholov yisroel milk powder with me (it tasted mediocre, but it works for my coffee)

Whole wheat crackers and energy bars (of all sorts) are other staples of kosher travelling.

It really depends on your situation, but even when kosher food is locally available, I usually bring along because I am too busy to go shopping