FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - First-Time Opt-Out: What Exactly To Do/Ask?
Old Jun 8, 2011, 7:26 pm
baliktad
Ambassador: Alaska Airlines

Programs: AS MVP Gold
Originally Posted by Vidiot
--Insist that my belongings be brought to me or within my sight;
Having opted out many times at several airports, this is the action that consistently causes me the most grief. I believe this is because TSO's do not receive any guidance or training about this aspect of checkpoint screening. They know they have to change their gloves when asked, and will begrudgingly do so if you press the issue, but ensuring your items are safely within your eyesight is rarely, if ever, acknowledged by front line TSO's.

The best way to handle this is as a statement, not a request. Remember, TSO's are not autonomous beings with the capability to reason and acquiesce to logical arguments. They are creatures of rote habit and can get in quite a tizzy if you don't respond exactly the same way everyone else ahead of you has.

So when a TSO directs you to "stand here" and your belongings are not in your line of sight, don't ask for your belongings to be brought to you (they don't care). Just state "I'm going to stand here where I can see my belongings." Remain calm and do not waver. Many TSO's will immediately resort to an aggressive offense, yelling that you must stand in a particular location or threatening to call law enforcement. Remember that they hold no power of detainment so they cannot force you to stand anywhere. If you remain calm and don't flee the checkpoint, they won't have anything to hold against you.

Do not back down in your stance, regardless of what they tell you. Here are some of their tactics:
- "Don't worry, we have cameras here" -> The cameras are to protect the TSA, not your belongings. A thief can steal your stuff in seconds; tapes, if made available at all, won't do you good hours, days, or even weeks later.
- "Your stuff will be fine." -> The screener isn't personally watching it, so this is an outright fabrication. The TSA accepts no liability for lost, stolen, or damaged items at a checkpoint.
- "A TSO is watching your stuff for you." -> On average, one TSO per week is fired for theft of passenger belongings. The fact that they have a blue shirt and tin badge does not make them trustworthy.

Regardless of what the TSA says, disobeying them is not a crime. The anger and hostility directed towards you is intended to make you comply. Since you know you're not a terrorist, their aggression isn't making anyone any safer. Stand your ground calmly and peacefully, and escalate to a supervisor as necessary.