FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - First-Time Opt-Out: What Exactly To Do/Ask?
Old Jun 8, 2011, 4:45 pm
Vidiot

Programs: Double Unobtainium, Grace L. Ferguson Airline & Storm Door Co.
First-Time Opt-Out: What Exactly To Do/Ask?

I've been avoiding flying since the introduction of AIT, but the time is coming soon when I'll have to. I'm especially concerned that my first itinerary where I'll opt out is LGA-RDU-LGA, and there are tons of horror stories about RDU in these fora.

There's ream upon ream of advice here, some contradictory, but here's what I'm planning to do:
--try to avoid an AIT machine in favor of a WTMD (a SDOO);
--if unsuccessful, calmly say "I opt out."
--Insist that my belongings be brought to me or within my sight;
--Ask the TSO conducting the search change into a fresh pair of gloves;
--Decline to go into a private room or area;
--Ask for clarification if they mention "resistance" in the pre-patdown briefing. ("You mean my genitals?");
--Be prepared to complain if the screening is painful, undignified, disrespectful, et cetera, or if I get any pushback/retaliatory measures/DY...T. (I still think that any patdown is ridiculous and offensive, but I doubt I'll file a complaint if the TSO treats me reasonably professionally.)

Am I missing anything? What else should I know, or plan to do?

If I decide to file a complaint, should I ask a supervisor for the TSOs' names or ID numbers? or should I just describe them on the complaint form?

I think it will probably be difficult to record the interaction for my own protection, as much as I'd like to: my phone or Flip would probably wind up with my carry-on belongings and separated from me. Pity. (And much like other posters here, I hate that I'm dreading my ritual goosing from the government, when alll I'm doing is visiting family on a tight schedule.)