FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - need a recommend for Mifi/USB rental in EU
Old Jun 5, 2011, 11:47 am
josephstern
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Global_Hi_Flyer
I can't tell you what you should or shouldn't do.

All I can tell you is that *I* made the choice to buy the TIM prepaid SIM based on the comments on the prepaidgsm.net site and I was able to successfully activate the INTERNET100 feature & use my mifi.

This was my exchange with Telestial prior to purchasing the SIM:

For me, it turned out that the prepaidGSM site's comments about being able to activate data with any TIM prepaid voice SIM was correct.

My tolerance for risk may be different than yours, however, so you may want to take that into account. For me, the risk was the $100 or so in cost to Telestial for the SIM and the slim possibility that it wouldn't work the way I wanted it to. My fallback plan was to walk into a TIM store there and buy the SIM locally & set that up on data (it would have saved money, but at the cost of additional time that I didn't want to spend on logistics).

It's possible that things have changed since I went 6 months ago. It's also possible that Telestial doesn't have all the facts or doesn't want to take any risk on their end.

FWIW, the following is currently on the TIM website (translate with Google):

OK - Thanks. I think I'm just going to do it with Telestial. I agree that I don't want to waste time in Italy figuring this out, and with a million i-devices in my crowd, this could be great.

I'll probably get a Huawei E585 on eBay.

Next question: any ideas for France? It's not as important this trip, but prepaid data there would be nice also. If I can get a different SIM for this same Mifi, that would be ideal. But I gather Orange doesn't like Mifi.