FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Mocek now suing for civil rights violations
Old May 31, 2011, 8:03 am
greentips

Programs: SSSSS
Originally Posted by Caradoc
Of course - the Maryland State Department of Corrections also cannot operate uncertified-by-the-FDA X-ray equipment.

I'll bet the TSA will try it. Just because they think they're above the law anyway.
My thoughts exactly. DHS has recently been interfering with internet communications by "seizing" web domains, (isn't that what China did?) and redirecting them to government sites. link.

There is a firefox add in that automatically redirects when the feds do this (without the benefit of a warrant, due process or anything else, including knowledge of how the internet is supposed to work). DHS demanded that Mozilla remove the plug in from its web site on May 7. Computerworld article link. Mozilla's Vice President and General Counsel, Harvey Anderson said no thanks.
"In recent months, ICE has shut down a large number of websites suspected of selling illegally copied music, movies or counterfeit products. Some free-speech experts have said the seizures may violate freedom-of-speech protections in the U.S. Constitution.

The DHS did not come to Mozilla with a court order, and the group pushed back, asking for proof that Mafiaa Fire is illegal, or at least a legal reason justifying the removal of the add-on.

"To date we've received no response from Homeland Security nor any court order," Anderson said. While content companies see obvious reasons to keep these sites offline, Mozilla sees it as a question of government censorship, and whether agreeing to these informal requests might somehow "threaten the open Internet," Anderson said."
Anderson, in his own blog asked DHS several questions:

Have any courts determined that the Mafiaafire add-on is unlawful or illegal in any way? If so, on what basis? (Please provide any relevant rulings)

Is Mozilla legally obligated to disable the add-on or is this request based on other reasons? If other reasons, can you please specify.

Can you please provide a copy of the relevant seizure order upon which your request to Mozilla to take down the Mafiaafire add-on is based?
While this is significantly off topic, I think it demonstrates that the entire DHS/TSA empire is a serious and growing threat to the United States and that it is vitally important that people like Phil Mocek be willing to take the risk of standing up and being counted.

Moderators, I will not be offended if this post is deleted. There are many and increasing threats coming from the DHS including potential threats to sites like this when the government becomes offended at free and open debate. Consider the DHS has armed forces (USCG) armed police (CPB/FAM), the ability to make secret rules an d policies, an arrogant willingness to violate the laws and the constitution, and a similar willingness to harass and intimidate travelers and an ability to avoid civilian trial courts. What more do they need?