FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - $300 US Customs Fine for Undeclared Food?
Old May 24, 2011, 7:18 am
tentseller
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: CX, DL, Nexus/GE, APEC
My rule of thumb and one used by many CBP agents is if it can be put in mouth and consumed then it is food. Second rule is full disclosure declaration.

If you are caught not only will you suffer whatever "punishment" you are getting you will also be red-flagged for additional screening in future visits. It has happened to close friends and family members.

Yes the beagle brigade is active at all entry points when a bag is suspected it will be marked and monitored for screening at customs.

AG inspection is no more than just put your bag into a machine. Some has been sent to further inspection but it has never happened to me.

There are two charges: Failure the declare or importing banned goods/substances.
You will be fined and goods confiscated. You can be denied entry if you refuse to pay the fine. Afterward, give yourself plenty of time at all US entry checkpoints. Certain substances will get you jail time.

After you are caught you are going to be kicking yourself as to why did I risk the secondary.

Last edited by tentseller; May 24, 2011 at 7:27 am