FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Westin Maui, Ka'anapali, Hawaii [Master Thread]
Old May 20, 2011, 10:51 pm
Rusty65

Programs: Starwood Platinum, Marriott, Hertz #1 Club
Great Platinum Recognition at Westin Maui

From the reviews, this hotel seems to be a bit hit and miss on the upgrades. I was hoping for the upgrade which is the main reason I choose SPG and the SO can receive something for the nights away. The Sheraton was sold out one of the nights so I went with the Westin not counting on anything. I was staying one night reduced corporate rate and the second night on points.

When I arrived, they said my upgraded suite was not yet available and will I wait ? I did not even know they had suites at the property, but gladly waited. I received an amazing suite with large bedroom and bathroom as welll as a living room and dining area. I can't find this room on SPG.com - the premium deluxe room is 400 square feet and this must be at least 800. It is room 688 in the Beach Tower. The size of the room is great, but the key ingredient is the great balcony dead on with the beach and the views of sunset, black rock and the other islands in the distance. There are two other balconies overlooking the pool area with a lounger on one of them.

The property may not have limited capacity to updgrade which has led to complaints in the past. But giving me this upgrade when it was half on points (but that should not be considered) and also not ready when I arrived shows that they are not squirreling away upgrades from platinums. While I like upgrades as much as the next plat, what I really want is to know that I will get the upgrade I am entitled to without having to say something at the front desk about availability on SPG.com - which I have never done.

Everything else at the hotel was nice. No problems with a crowded pool or getting loungechairs. Admittedly, May in Hawaii may not cause the problems that some complained about at peak times - but those reviews would have swung me to the Sheraton. I know that my stay is colored by my upgrade but I have to give the Westin a big thumbs up on delivering.^