FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Have been denied AMEX gift card purchase for months, any suggestion?
Old May 13, 2011, 12:08 pm
Zantaine

Originally Posted by Nelumbo
I never violated the 5K gift card limit.
I used the AMEX gift cards to buy coins about a year ago and then I used the AMEX gift cards in COSTCO mostly.
Feel free to call this heresay/speculative etc. but my personal experiences/opinion on this one is they are cracking down hard. My SO who works in finance and called AMEX GC (after calling each CC that was declined) and was transferred to a supervisor. My SO explained there are certain "things" you cannot blatantly tell customers in the finance world. She explained this guy went around in circles with her telling her in not so many words that both her and I are banned from buying AMEX GC's. (Both Business and Personal) Neither of us went over any limits or broke any "rules". As a merchant, they can choose who they sell their product to. My SO also said once he used the term "red flag", she knew where it was going. My feeling is that they are looking for very specific types of activity and when that pops up, they're not taking chances and are preventing people from ordering. I tried to order without logging in and was still denied. (So they're tracking by either our names, CC #'s or address.) I haven't pinpointed which one(s) yet. We get the same error you do. (Before this call to AMEX GC yesterday I called our CC companies who confirmed it's not their end and they were right) I honestly wish I had a better answer. The supervisor advised my SO to try the "corporate website" but my SO said she doubts that it would work. I'm also unsure if any "blocks" will be lifted in X time or not. Hopefully you have better luck than we did!