FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - 5 days in Frankfurt/Munich
View Single Post
Old May 9, 2011, 9:27 am
SunshineStay

Programs: Marriott Bonvoy Ambassador, Melia Platinum, SIXT Platinum, Accor Silver, Lufthansa FTL
Originally Posted by andex
Q2 I am looking for a room for 3 ppl nearby Hauptbahnhof. Hotel Concorde is extremely close, however it seems that they have pretty small rooms/beds. Anyone tried the new Holiday Inn Express? Is it close to the red light district? I streetview-ed the walk from the train station to the hotel, and it looks OK to me.
As a Frankfurt Local, I haven't tried the HIX, but the location looks alright. Also the FRA red-light-district isn't as dangerous as it was 10 or 20 years ago, so no worries there. The usual safety measures that you should heed to when travelling to ANY big city apply of course.

Q3 We plan to visit museums on Sat/Sun. It seems that most museums are closed on Monday, so we plan to hit some tourist attractions listed here. Any must-go/suggestions?
I don't agree with the other people here in this thread. Frankfurt is definitely much more than a large financial center and has much to offer. The Museum of Modern Art and the Staedel Museum are must-sees. There is also a large collection of museums on the southern side of the river Main, the so called "Museums Ufer" between Alte Brücke (Old Bridge) and Friedensbrücke (Peace Bridge) which should give you more than enough to see.

Other places to see are the old cathedral, the Paul's church. A lot of people recommend a one day visit to Mainz (40 minute ride by regional train - see other threads here in this forum). I would also recommend a visit to Saalburg an old castle from the Roman times.

If you just want to relax, Frankfurt has lots of parks

Q4 For the train from Frankfurt to Munich, would it be too troublesome to have big luggages?
No.