FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Bora Bora vs. Maldives
View Single Post
Old May 7, 2011, 10:15 am
GordonGordon

Programs: UA-lifetime Platinum (2MM), IHG-Amb, HH-Diamond, Hertz-PC, Marriott-Gold, CX-AM
I had been to Bora Bora 3 times (different resorts) and Maldives 4 times (different island resorts) and still love both and will go back anytime to both places without a doubt. However, I do prefer a bit more on Bora Bora. If you love snorkeling, fishes and corals below the water like a underwater forest, then you should choose Maldives. The variety of fishes and corals wins hands down Bora Bora. However, in Maldives you will get stuck in a resort and there are not many options for meals or non-water activities.

In Bora Bora, you will have a lot outdoor activities like hiking, 4x4 jeep tour, visit the Vaitape Village, beaches (Matira Beach right next to InterContinental Bora Bora La Moana has been named the most romantic beach in the world), dine at different restaurants on the island, shark feeding, etc. I personally find the Polynesian culture mixing with the French culture is much richer than the Maldivian culture. There are not much to see if the resort in Maldives offers you to visit the local fishing village or the capital city of male, all you can see is the local people bugging you to buy their homemade souvenirs at ridiculous prices. The seawater in Maldives is nice and gorgeous, but the unique turquoise seawater color in Bora Bora wins hands down Maldives.

November is the beginning of wet season in Bora Bora, and it is the end of wet/monsoon season in Maldives, so both places equally have the small risk of bad rainy days during November.

Whatever you choose between these 2 places, you won't go wrong with either one. Bora Bora is very safe and the local people are friendly and laid-back, and the staff and local people do not have any tipping culture; some do feel offended if you intend to pay them tips. However, few restaurant waiters in Maldives island resort can be aggressive for bugging you for tips by telling you their stories about how little they earn. In addition, there are strikes/protests going on in Maldives and I don't know how long it will last although Maldives is almost as safe as Bora Bora.

Hope the info helps!

Last edited by GordonGordon; May 7, 2011 at 11:39 am