FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Bora Bora vs. Maldives
View Single Post
Old May 7, 2011, 8:59 am
Tigey

The Maldives is my favourite place on earth

I just got back last week from a trip to Tahiti and Bora Bora. My husband and I stayed for 5 nights at the four seasons in Bora Bora. It was fairly nice and I couldn't really fault it, but we both left feeling a bit disappointed.

Don't get me wrong, it is a nice place.. the hotel staff were all friendly and courteous and the service was great. The overwater bungalow we stayed in was well-kept and nicely designed. There were only a couple of restaurants on the island and they were good, but expensive. The water was clear and blue. I found the water temperature to be a bit cold and there was next to no snorkelling to be done. The main island of Bora bora is nice to go to for a coupe of hours. You can hire out electric bikes like we did and ride around the island. There is a gorgeous beach along the way.

However, it is not the Maldives. I've been to the Maldives twice now and would love to go back every chance I can. I wouldn't go back to Bora Bora though. There's something so magical about the Maldives that Bora Bora doesn't have and to me, there is no comparison. Another couple that we met at Bora bora had also been to the Maldives and felt the same way.

Maldives is just paradise... the water is bluer and so warm I would spend the whole day swimming. The snorkelling is fantastic...there are coral reefs around the islands with plenty of fish and turtles to see. The people there are so friendly. I don't think Maldives is the cheaper option, but I guess it depends where you are travelling from. Bora bora was a lot cheaper for me than the Maldives. I definitely would recommend staying in a overwater bungalow. It's worth the extra money. The view from them is spectacular. I've stayed at Coco palm dhuni Kolhu and Coco palm Bodhu Hithu. The rooms at Bodhu Hithu were much larger than the Four seasons in Bora bora and it had a large private plunge pool. I've heard from several people that Soneva Gilli is fantastic and that's the next resort I'll be staying at in the Maldives!

It's a fairly relaxing holiday.. there's not heaps to do but at a place like that all you want to do is swim and relax. I'm usually the type of person who crams as much as I can into a holiday, but at the Maldives I'm just happy to lie in the sun or swim around and take it easy. There are plenty of watersport activities you can do though.

Maldives is the perfect anniversary location. My husband surprised my with a trip last year there for our anniversary and it was the nicest holiday ever and I'll never forget it.