FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Schengen Visa starting one day AFTER arrival
Old May 7, 2011, 1:27 am
MHG

Programs: BA, SK, Accor, Carlson Rezidor
Originally Posted by CrazyTalk
Hi,

First post, bit of a question simply due to the urgent timing of it all...

My girlfriend has just received a Schengen visa from the Netherlands consulate in Russia. She detailed her flight plans as flying out on 30th April, however the visa has come back saying the start date as being the 1st May.

Her flight involves a change in Frankfurt at about 1pm on 30th April. I have tried to find information about when the visa is checked, and I think I've come to the conclusion it is checked in Frankfurt before she can go to Amsterdam.

Is it possible for a embassy to change a visa start date (when incorrect) in such a short period of time? The embassy was on holiday for two weeks, and then took another week to process the visa application, hence why it only came today.

I've also read that it's possible the visa 'start date' is actually when the person enters the Schengen region, however this does not make sense to me...

One final option, if she did travel and got to Germany, would she be held within the airport until the visa was valid, or would she be held in Amsterdam (final destination) until the visa becomes valid?

Thank you for any help you can provide! She will be calling the embassy tomorrow morning however any help or advice would be greatly appreciated...
She will be denied boarding in Moscow unless her visa starting date is changed beforehand.
Since she flies via FRA the flight to Germany is what counts as FRA is her first port of entry into the Schengen zone.
She will go through immigration in FRA but pass through customs at AMS !
The flight FRA-AMS is considered a domestic flight.