FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - AAdvantage Dining Program Terms for Monthly Spending and Definition of a "Month"
Old May 2, 2011, 2:38 pm
lwildernorva

Programs: Amex Plat, AA, BA Silver, Marriott Plat, Choice Gold, HHonors Gold, IHG Diamond
Originally Posted by Points Scrounger
Are you certain there's no limit on bonus miles?
Of course, at this point, we don't know all of the details, and any details being discussed here and on other forums are subject to change. I'm sure there'll be some sort of limitation. Given how small some of the other promotions have been, I wouldn't be surprised if there were a ten-dine limitation or some sort of maximum mileage earning limitation, such as 5000 or 10,000 miles. Keep in mind, though, that, other than the limitations imposed by the individual restaurants, there is apparently no such limitation currently and that for the determined diner with sufficient options, the dining program could easily yield 5000 to 10,000 miles per month at the 5 mile/dollar VIP level ($70 dining every night for a month--not difficult for a two-income couple without kids that likes dining out).

Even with this limitation, the only promotions that are bigger are the sweepstakes, and those will only be won by an extremely small number of people. The cumulative promotion for booking five flights would be bigger, but the booking window was so small that I doubt many people were able to take advantage of the full promotion, except for business travelers and those willing to compress their flight booking without regard to cost for the sole purpose of trying to get all the points. Deciding to go out to dinner to iDine restaurants for a month is a lot easier than booking five flights into a small window.

It'll probably beat the "spend more than $30 dining, spend more than $30 at the AAdvantage Mall, and book some sort of travel expense through AA.com promotion" to get 3000 miles.